Passive Income?

hungrymamba

Two kids, not married... I work and get some 45k + from my salary but I get an additional 25k from personal training gig at virgin active (afternoons and weekend) and I consult as a qualified dietician privately at home, telephonically and online... The additional funds go a long way, but I never count the additional 25k as money in hand monthly because it's not fixed... I usually put it away for holiday and invest some

kabusi

Two kids, not married... I work and get some 45k + from my salary but I get an additional 25k from personal training gig at virgin active (afternoons and weekend) and I consult as a qualified dietician privately at home, telephonically and online... The additional funds go a long way, but I never count the additional 25k as money in hand monthly because it's not fixed... I usually put it away for holiday and invest some
That passive income you earn is more than most peoples day job. Well done!

Cius

Executive Member
The best form of passive income is shares, but obviously you need money to buy them, so I would focus on increasing income and reducing expenses to allow you to regularly contribute into a decent ETF (preferably with international exposure of some kind to high growth areas). Do that for a number of years and you can get wealthy.

kabusi

There are very few things that pay well that require no skills.
Supply and demand and all that...
True. But even with skill and a full time job, to find a side gig is not that easy.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Anyone had any luck with paid surveys?
Last time I looked (admittedly this was a few years ago when I was a broke student), these sorts of things make earning eBucks look easy and straightforward. But with the profitability of Standard Bank's uCount thing.

IMO not worth the time you'd spend to do them. You'd probably "earn" more by switching something which you currently out-source to DIY - cooking at home, for example, or doing your own ironing or something like that.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Where did you qualify? Was it a part time thing?

hungrymamba

Where did you qualify? Was it a part time thing?
StudiedConsumer Science (Advanced Nutrition) at University of Zululand (FULL TIME) - this was mainly because the family from my father's side kept dying from making bad lifestyle choices, so I became very interested and wanted to basically help people with their eating habits so that they live longer.

My passion has always been Development - so I am a developer (day job), but I did not go to school for that... I consult with a few Physicians in Pretoria where diabetics and other patients who need professional nutrition advice - I also work at government hospitals as well on Fridays (Steve Biko and Helen Josephs Hospitals), I also do private consultations at my home and via live video for - this is where most of the additional cash comes from - you don't really need to be a genius to study Nutrition, but a passion is needed - anyone can do it.

InvisibleJim

How was it to get into part time work with Virgin Active? I'm busy with a personal training skills certificate with HFPA at the moment and I was looking at trying to get a few hours on weekends when I'm qualified but I envisaged approaching more independent type businesses. Even an extra 4k or so a month would be worthwhile in terms of extra payments on bond or vehicle loans.

Any wisdom you can share from your experience would be appreciated.