Pastel (Pervasive) Error 16 - Networking error

cn@

Expert Member
Hi, at work I've got 2 PC's that run Pastel. One taps into the other one via a mapped network drive. The "server" works fine. The network connection between the two is fine. I can access all the files through the network drive. The remote one has perfect access to all other resources on the network(printers, the internet etc.), but it just can not connect to the server's database through the Pastel interface.

It just hangs for a while and then gives me Error 16.

I have already used static and dynamic IP addresses, I have already created exceptions to the Pervasive ports and program in Windows Defender. We don't use any other 3rd party anti-virus.

Both PC's are freshly formatted and worked fine when the consultant installed the new version of Pastel on both PC's.

What to do, what to do?

Hemps

Honorary Master
Try give the C:\Pastel19 and network share Everyone permission, remove the rest.
Does your license allow 2 users, check license administrator on the server Start... All Programs ....Pervasive ....Utilities...License Administrator
Should say permanent.
Then re-register the server
Then re-register the other pc, select workstation if it doesnt have site license.
Also change UAC to lowest

ijacobs3

Expert Member
Are they still using pervasive :( thought it would have moved to sql by now. I recall my days as a Pastel tech, Pervasive was a bastard

Darynv

What port does this listen on? can you telnet the "server" on that port? Windows Firewall perhaps?

Darynv

Are they still using pervasive :( thought it would have moved to sql by now. I recall my days as a Pastel tech, Pervasive was a bastard
Being a data guy ingesting this, or reading it is a headache of note, I do not envy you having to work on this full time

ijacobs3

Expert Member
Being a data guy ingesting this, or reading it is a headache of note, I do not envy you having to work on this full time
Their answer to everything was run psa, uninstall, reinstall

Bikerbob

Pervasive requires a licence for more than one user. Works for 30 days and then you need to get a licence. I am assuming you haven't purchased a licence, but if that is not the case then it could be another reason.

ijacobs3

Expert Member
Pervasive requires a licence for more than one user. Works for 30 days and then you need to get a licence. I am assuming you haven't purchased a licence, but if that is not the case then it could be another reason.
pastel should have given you a key with the package, based on the users you purchased