Paying SARS via the Internet

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
Historically, on the last page of your assessment, you got an account number with a bank name and how to go about it. With the last assessment this appears in the payments section:

4.3. Bank payments or via internet banking to: ABSA, First National Bank, Nedbank, Standard Bank
For payments, the beneficiary ID must be used as the account number: SARS-ITA
Payments that do not comply with both the above-mentioned payment reference number and the beneficiary ID will not be accepted.
In terms of section 89 of the Income Tax Act where any day specified for any payment to be made, under the provision of this Act, falls on a Saturday, Sunday
or public holiday, such payment must be made not later than the last busniness day prior to such Saturday, Sunday or public holiday.
Does anyone know what they actually mean here?

hashbrown99

Expert Member
I'm with ABSA and when I set this payment up, it gave a choice of SARS accounts, one of which was SARS-ITA. The other reference is your tax number. Got a receipt letter from them about 10 days later

Last edited:

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
I'm with ABSA and when I set this payment up, it gave a choice of SARS accounts, one of which was SARS-ITA. The other reference is your tax number. Got a receipt letter from them about 10 days later
Thanks. Tried to follow you as follows:
Add new beneficiary;
Link Absa listed beneficiary;
Receiver of Revenue;
SARS assessed tax - ITA.

I then got onto a form which had to be filled in, requiring an account number, account name and details to appear on my bank statement. Did you then use your tax number as the account number, and your name as the account name?

hashbrown99

Expert Member
Thanks. Tried to follow you as follows:
Add new beneficiary;
Link Absa listed beneficiary;
Receiver of Revenue;
SARS assessed tax - ITA.

I then got onto a form which had to be filled in, requiring an account number, account name and details to appear on my bank statement. Did you then use your tax number as the account number, and your name as the account name?
You can use what ever will jog your memory for own bank account but your 'tax number' must be the beneficiary's reference