PC Spec Advice, Recommendations & A Ball Park Price

marlinwebster

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Messages
135
Reaction score
0
Guys,

I'm looking for something that can handle photo editing (Photoshop), a large catalogue of photographs in Lightroom, media streaming to my 360, possibly a mini-exchange server setup, errr...and general file serving. I've pulled together this spec, and was wondering whether you could offer recommendations for tweaks and also a ballpark price I'd be looking at. If there are vendors lurking on here feel free to drop me a quote.

The spec;


Intel® Core™ i5 2500K - 3.30GHz Quad Core, Socket 1155, 6MB L3, DMI Bus, 32nm, x64, Intel VT, Intel HD Graphics @ 850MHz

INTEL® "Media Series" "Warrensburg" P55 - Socket LGA1156 @ DMI 2.5GT/s

GIGABYTE® nVidia® GeForce GTS450 - 1GB GDDR5, 128-Bit Memory Bus, PCI Express 2.0, 2x DVI, 1x Mini HDMI, HDCP Compliant

Transcend® JetRam™ High-Performance 4GB X 2 DDR3-1333 240-Pin Module : CL9, 6-Layer PC Board

GIGABYTE® X9 ATX Chassis - Black - Side Vented Panel - 4x 5.25" & 6x 3.5" Bays - Tool Free Design - 1x 120mm Fan

GIGABYTE® ODIN 720W 24-Pin Power Supply, 4 Molex & 6 SATA Power Connectors,
Intel LGA775 Ready & Approved, Includes Power Cable

Seagate® Barracuda™ Green 5900 Series - 2TB Serial ATA III (SATA3) Plus - Serial ATA 600 (6Gbps) With 64MB Cache @ 5900RPM - NCQ

Thanks!

M
 
You cannot use a Socket 1156 motherboard with a Socket 1155 CPU!
A 720W PSU is overkill for such an entry level graphics card.

Could you perhaps post the prices of to total quote, preferably the individual components too?

I'd go for:
2500K CPU
Asus P67 chipset motherboard, which is Socket 1155 ~ R1500
2x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM ~ R900
128GB SSD ~ R2200
1.5TB HDD ~ R700
VTX3D HD 6850 ~ R1500
Corsair CX500 ~ R600
CoolerMaster RC 310 case ~ R340 / CoolerMaster Elite 430 case ~ R430
SATA DVD Writer ~ R180
CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ / Cogage True Spirit - CPU cooler for Socket 1156 (because Socket 1155 and 1156 mounting brackets are the same) ~ less than R400

I'm not really sure if the SSD & big graphics card is really necessary, because I've never done PS5 for a profession.
 
if you're gonna use CS5, i'd get a better GFX card since Adobe is starting to use it properly to boost performance. Besides... the next Crysis is around the corner. ; ) instead of the SSD. If you want quick performance boost later, just throw in 12 or 16 Gb of Memory and create a 4+ Gb ramdisk for your "workspace" photos.

No SSD can ever match 1333 DDR3 RAM dumping data straight on the bus.

And if you REALLY want an SSD, there is gonna be massive inprovements over the next 5 years, so just get a 64Gb cheapy for the OS and some playroom.
 
Last edited:
I can do:

Intel i5-760 Quad Lynnfield 2.80 GHz 8Mb Cache 45nm R1 830
MSI Intel H55-G43, 8CH Audio, Gb LAN, HDMI/VGA R835
MSI N450GTS-M2D1GD5 Cyclone, 1GB 16X PCI-E (DVIx 2, mHDMI) - DX11 R1 370
2x Transcend JetRam High-Performance 4GB DDR3-1333 240-Pin R950
GIGABYTE X9 ATX Chassis - Black - Side Vented Panel - 4x 5.25" & 6x 3.5" Bays - Tool Free Design - 1x 120mm Fan R320
GIGABYTE ODIN 720W 24-Pin Power Supply, 4 Molex & 6 SATA Power Connectors, Intel LGA775 Ready & Approved, Includes Power Cable R950
Seagate® Barracuda™ Green 5900 Series - 2TB Serial ATA III (SATA3) Plus - Serial ATA 600 (6Gbps) With 64MB Cache @ 5900RPM R950
Total - R7 205

I would suggest upgrading the gfx card to a
MSI R5770-HAWK 1GB ATI 16X PCI-E (DVI, HDMI, Display Port) - DX11 R1 810

And the HDD to a
WD CAVIAR Black 64 1TB R845

As stated already, the mobo you want will not support the CPU you want.

If you're interested PM me and we can talk.
 
I forgot to mention that the prices that I got are from Wootware & Prophecy Shop, but you can most likely get it from other online shops for the same price.

Unfortunately the HD 6850 that I listed from Prophecy Shop isn't available at this moment.

The HD 5770 Hawk is a good suggestion, but R1800 is a bit pricey, seeing that you can get it from WootWare for R1,545.
 
Guys,

I'm looking for something that can handle photo editing (Photoshop), a large catalogue of photographs in Lightroom, media streaming to my 360, possibly a mini-exchange server setup, errr...and general file serving. I've pulled together this spec, and was wondering whether you could offer recommendations for tweaks and also a ballpark price I'd be looking at. If there are vendors lurking on here feel free to drop me a quote.

The spec;


Intel® Core™ i5 2500K - 3.30GHz Quad Core, Socket 1155, 6MB L3, DMI Bus, 32nm, x64, Intel VT, Intel HD Graphics @ 850MHz

INTEL® "Media Series" "Warrensburg" P55 - Socket LGA1156 @ DMI 2.5GT/s

GIGABYTE® nVidia® GeForce GTS450 - 1GB GDDR5, 128-Bit Memory Bus, PCI Express 2.0, 2x DVI, 1x Mini HDMI, HDCP Compliant

Transcend® JetRam™ High-Performance 4GB X 2 DDR3-1333 240-Pin Module : CL9, 6-Layer PC Board

GIGABYTE® X9 ATX Chassis - Black - Side Vented Panel - 4x 5.25" & 6x 3.5" Bays - Tool Free Design - 1x 120mm Fan

GIGABYTE® ODIN 720W 24-Pin Power Supply, 4 Molex & 6 SATA Power Connectors,
Intel LGA775 Ready & Approved, Includes Power Cable

Seagate® Barracuda™ Green 5900 Series - 2TB Serial ATA III (SATA3) Plus - Serial ATA 600 (6Gbps) With 64MB Cache @ 5900RPM - NCQ

Thanks!

M

LOL. Looks like someone has a rectron account.

That Odin 720watt is crap. rather get the ODin GT 550watt.

You wanna do video streaming and editing with a 5900rpm hard drive? At the very least get a Western Digital Black drive or the barracuda XT drive.

As for GFX card look at the GTX4601gig.
 
I forgot to mention that the prices that I got are from Wootware & Prophecy Shop, but you can most likely get it from other online shops for the same price.

Unfortunately the HD 6850 that I listed from Prophecy Shop isn't available at this moment.

The HD 5770 Hawk is a good suggestion, but R1800 is a bit pricey, seeing that you can get it from WootWare for R1,545.

I can't beat WootWare's price on the gfx card...My supplier is pricey when it comes to that.

Everything else should be priced below other's prices, so you could always grab the gfx from them and get the rest from me.
 
Last edited:
I can't beat WootWare's price on the gfx card...My supplier is pricey when it comes to that.

Everything else should be priced below other's prices, so you could always grab the gfx from them and get the rest from me.

A dealer with that nick? I'm afraid you might sell use pirated goods and pay a premium for 'em.
 
I would not listen to the SSD advice, to me it seems you want a gaming plus work rig so get the SSD bud.

It is was gaming i would rather put the money into a beter vga platform but for the kind of work you require an ssd will be superb.

Buying a 5770 for 1.8k is just silly as well or 1.5k for that matter.
 
Last edited:
iPirate the 5770 is terrible for that price. He should rather get a GTX 460 or a 6850. OP, I would also look at what graphics cards are supported by the software you need.
 
iPirate the 5770 is terrible for that price. He should rather get a GTX 460 or a 6850. OP, I would also look at what graphics cards are supported by the software you need.

Yeah, sent him a new quote as I received an updated pricelist this morning. The gfx is

nVidia GeForce GTX460SE - 1GB GDDR5, 256-Bit Core: 730MHz R1 785.00
 
iPirate: the GTX 460 SE 1GB is worse than the GTX 460 768MB, so that is a bad choice for that price.

I would advise you to have a look at a couple of benchmarks before making suggestions.

Archer's GPU Comparison thread is a good place to start for gaming graphics cards.
 
iPirate: the GTX 460 SE 1GB is worse than the GTX 460 768MB, so that is a bad choice for that price.

I would advise you to have a look at a couple of benchmarks before making suggestions.

Archer's GPU Comparison thread is a good place to start for gaming graphics cards.

TI wouldn't call it "worse" it's just not as good. I am trying to give him the best experience at the cheapest price. The GTX460SE will be more than enough for PS5, as he hasn't said anything about gaming.
 
TI wouldn't call it "worse" it's just not as good. I am trying to give him the best experience at the cheapest price. The GTX460SE will be more than enough for PS5, as he hasn't said anything about gaming.

No gaming.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X