PC users are not updating their apps

ekske1

Expert Member

tsavvy

This is another reason to consider Linux. Update all your software with a simple command in the terminal.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Not generally an issue if you run high quality paid software. They keep themselves up to date or notify you for easy updates when available.

Office 365, Adobe CC, Spotify, Evernote, game clients, Chrome etc. don't have issues staying up to date.

garp

Executive Member
because theres this stupid idea out there that updates are bad.
I don’t blame users for not wanting to fix what’s not broken. I’d wager that anybody that’s used Windows for long enough has had at least one episode of post-update recovery screen syndrome / BSOD. Not to mention all the other updates that frequently break things, e.g. trashed Outlook mailboxes or plugins after an Office update.

Deciding to forego the latest icon designs and menu layout tweaking (which is often the only visible change that users see) because they just care about getting the job done with what they know works and don’t want to risk borking it is a perfectly rational strategy.

If vendors were more forthright and stated in big letters, “Run this app / os update NOW because we found a bug/backdoor that will allow hackers to do <whatever>“ then they might get more traction.

Swa

Honorary Master
This is another reason to consider Linux. Update all your software with a simple command in the terminal.
That's the real issue. If there was a more streamlined process instead of having to set each app with different options more people would update. Then there's updates which download and close apps only to fail updating. The Windows ecosystem is such a mess.

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
because theres this stupid idea out there that updates are bad.
Yes, often they are. Let's try to look at it from a different perspective.

Windows is defective. We all know this, but we ignore it because for the average user who goes out and buys a computer there is little choice especially if your budget flat out does not stretch to an Apple product.

One of the ways in which it is defective is that decides to stop working at the drop of hat, and quite frequently one of the surefire ways to achieve this is to update your software. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. If your computer is flashing warning messages at you almost certainly the culprit is the last thing you installed / updated. Roll it back, sometimes even as drastically as having to revert to a restore point from before you updated and tada magic working computer again. This doesn't have to happen (unless you are complete idiot) too many times before you go 'maybe I shouldn't do this'...

And just because I really have a pet peeve about this computers have software programs while phones have apps.