Pet Baboon destroyed in W Cape

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
A Western Cape woman is upset that her pet baboon was destroyed instead of being sent to a rehabilitation centre, The Cape Times reported on Thursday.

Annie Paulsen was reportedly given the baboon by students, who found the orphaned animal near Bonnievale.

She kept it for a while, but then arranged for it to go to the Riverside Rehabilitation Centre in Limpopo, and took it to the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) to arrange the transfer

However, when she phoned the SPCA to find out how this had gone, she was told the animal had been put down.

Brett Glasby, of the Cape of Good Hope SPCA, told The Cape Times the baboon, which had a nappy and a dummy, was completely "habituated" to people.

The provincial environmental body, CapeNature, reportedly instructed that the baboon could not be moved out of the province, and ordered that it be put down.

"It was clear the animal was humanised and would be impossible to restore to a healthy behavioural state," CapeNature spokeswoman Liesl Brink told the newspaper.

Source : Sapa /je/fg/clh
Date : 16 May 2013 08:50

abzo

Honorary Master
Destroyed? Really? Is that the best word to use, SAPA?

F1 Fan

Expert Member
I think it makes sense. You can't allow a baboon to go back into the wild if they are "humanised". They simply will not survive.

Whether it needed to be put down is debatable. But with a lack of funding for looking after these animals, I guess that was inevitable.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
She wanted it to go to Limpopo, well it would have succumbed to the disease of "mismanagement" over there anyway

thestaggy

Honorary Master
This is quite sad.

I think it makes sense. You can't allow a baboon to go back into the wild if they are "humanised". They simply will not survive.

Whether it needed to be put down is debatable. But with a lack of funding for looking after these animals, I guess that was inevitable.

I disagree. I've seen ex-circus animals be rehabilitated. I've seen monkies that came from medical testing labs be rehabilitated. In the case of the lab monkies, onfirst arrival they would turn their shoulder and accept an injection when instructed to do so. Within a few months of being rehabbed they would no longer listen, something the vets loved to see as it indicated a reversion back to normal animal behaviour. Whether they can be sent off into the wild is another story but all of these animals have adjusted quite well to life in a sanctuary with minimal human intervention.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Destroyed? Really? Is that the best word to use, SAPA?

Yes, "destroyed" is the correct term to use when animals are disposed of through euthenasia or whatever other means.
The term is commonly used among veterinary personnel.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Yes, "destroyed" is the correct term to use when animals are disposed of through euthenasia or whatever other means.

^^ this

Check the signs at Kruger gates about taking your pets in :p

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master

You learn something new every day. First time I've heard of this and tbh I think it's pretty fscked. I've also never heard of somebody telling me their pet was accidentally destroyed in a motor vehicle accident. Bizarre.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
You learn something new every day. First time I've heard of this and tbh I think it's pretty fscked. I've also never heard of somebody telling me their pet was accidentally destroyed in a motor vehicle accident. Bizarre.

That's because pet owners are more sensitive and emotional regarding their pets.
We are more likely to speak of "died" or "killed"
But Vets and News reporters are professionals and are more emotionally detached.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
That's because pet owners are more sensitive and emotional regarding their pets.
We are more likely to speak of "died" or "killed"
But Vets and News reporters are professionals and are more emotionally detached.

Ye, not saying you're wrong but I find it very weird. I cannot figure out why they have to use different wording to explain the demise of humans vs other animals. It's not like you're going be confused if they say a baboon was killed in a fire.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Ye, not saying you're wrong but I find it very weird. I cannot figure out why they have to use different wording to explain the demise of humans vs other animals. It's not like you're going be confused if they say a baboon was killed in a fire.

and it would not be wrong to say that.
I think professionals just try to avoid using emotive terminology.

Heck, I was looking at a bottle of Distilled Water the other day and it said "Ingredients: Aquae Purificae" :D

thestaggy

Honorary Master
''Yes, we're going to destroy my mother. The Doc says it is best if we switch the life support off."

Brutal.