pFsense with B315

getafix33

Expert Member
Hi

I am busy setting up pFsense at home but my internet connection is via CellC 200gb on a Huawei B315 modem.

How would i set this up? You cant put the B315 in bridge mode but i see it has a WAN port (port4 LAN/WAN).

Any ideas.

Thanks

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Hi

I am busy setting up pFsense at home but my internet connection is via CellC 200gb on a Huawei B315 modem.

How would i set this up? You cant put the B315 in bridge mode but i see it has a WAN port (port4 LAN/WAN).

Any ideas.

Thanks
The B315 wouldn’t need the WAN port, the PFSense side does.

You’d either need the B315 to give it’s WAN IP directly when it dials the connection through a DMZ setup like some routers have.

Otherwise you’d need to make it a bridge and then dial the connection from the Pfsense box.

Or worst case tot have the WAN port side of the pfsense on the local DHCHP range is the B315 and therefore it uses it as the default gateway, but you are going to have a myriad of NAT issues then.

You didn’t specify if it’s fibre or LTE.

getafix33

Expert Member
The B315 wouldn’t need the WAN port, the PFSense side does.

You’d either need the B315 to give it’s WAN IP directly when it dials the connection through a DMZ setup like some routers have.

Otherwise you’d need to make it a bridge and then dial the connection from the Pfsense box.

Or worst case tot have the WAN port side of the pfsense on the local DHCHP range is the B315 and therefore it uses it as the default gateway, but you are going to have a myriad of NAT issues then.

You didn’t specify if it’s fibre or LTE.
Thanks for the reply

I am using LTE. Attached is a screen shot of what my modem options are.

Attachments

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Thanks for the reply

I am using LTE. Attached is a screen shot of what my modem options are.
So that will need to remain the same, as it relates to what the ISP uses. LAN only may imply a bridge mode but I doubt it.

And your PFsense would need to make a plan around it.

I fear unfortunately if it doesn’t support DMZ there be no option for you to introduce Pfsense here.

Genisys

Executive Member
I have mine set in Lan only, with DMZ being passed to my Mikrotik (Realistically it should work the same with PFsense). I gave my Router the ip 192.168.8.1/24 and my Mikrotik the IP 192.168.8.2/24 and forwarded all ports using DMZ to the Mikrotik (192.168.8.2/24) and routed all traffic outbound from my Mikrotik to 192.168.8.1/24.

The way the B315 works means that there will be no bridge, but rather that a Double NAT needs to happen as the B315 deals with the PPP connection.