Pop_OS! with KDE

JurgensBeMe

i must admit I'm really impressed with how seamless the transition to linux has been. There is a bunch of really good user-friendly distros, that make getting out of the venster-gordyn really easy. I can really recommend Pop_OS!, Manjaro and MintOS as being very noob friendly. Pop_OS! has outstanding drivers support out of the box.

If you enable all the repos, get yourself a decent windows like Gui, then getting away from Billy-G satanical cult is dead easy.

Nqindi

Pop_OS! has outstanding drivers support out of the box.
I got one of those wireless gaming headsets the other day for my PS4. I tried them out my laptop running Pop.OS. I didn't expect them to work, but they did. I also have KDE, it's neat. I have been on Linux for 2 weeks and so far so good. I wish Microsoft could release their office apps on linux.

Screenshot from 2020-05-26 16-06-32.png

Crumbl0x

WPS, OnlyOffice and Softmaker FreeOffice are pretty great with UI and MS Office compatibility, and yea there's the online version if you want thankfully, although gimped.

Also staying on the title of this thread, may I ask why are some of you running Pop! with KDE when Kubuntu, Neon etc. exists? Normally the base doesn't matter broadly speaking but distros like Pop!, elementary, Mint w/ Cinnamon and UbuntuDDE exist solely to show off and cater to the one specific DE and do it really well, so because they all share the same base in the list above, I find it extremely counter-intuitive to go out of one's way to use a base on a base with an unsupported alternative DE (unsupported in the sense that no tweaks, QoL changes and direct upstream reporting exists outside of their flagship DEs).

JurgensBeMe

the reason you choose POP is easily surmised by the following statement...

PLUG&PLAY!

I realise I'm being hyperbolic but really pop's out of the box driver support is wonderful. Do you know how much of a hassle it is to get your wifi driver on stock Ubuntu? none of that on POP it all just works,

Crumbl0x

I'm sorry but it's not a universal condition I can get behind, while I do agree that Ubuntu's latest release (and some beforehand) hasn't been primarily the most best with regards to stability, dkms and holding the vain of snap over people forcefully, Pop! simply made sure that everything would work like Ubuntu planned to, especially with regards to Nvidia drivers. The reason why I don't agree with you is that I don't have an issue with any distro and drivers, but that's because I ensure that my hardware is the most Linux friendly, and that can't be the case with everyone which is understandable.

However, you have given me a valid reason people go out of the way to double base their daily drivers and I can get behind that personally being anti-Canonical myself, so I thank you for explaining your viewpoint. Ubuntu themselves should've gotten these basic things swept under the rug by now instead of focusing on failing projects in the event that people don't have to run to Pop! just to get these and forego the first class DE support they would've gotten on a respective spin.

rambo919

Executive Member
Seems to me that Canonical has basically made life easy on themselves and shifted focus to server deployments leaving Desktop deployments to fourth parties like POP or Mint. Their insistence on Gnome3 alone proves this... most desktop users use GUI's for everything and most server users use cli or shortcuts.

Gnome3 is perfect for a tablet but Canonical seems to have given up on that dream and we are stuck with Android which generally is a POS for anything other than casual or browser based use......MTP alone gives me grey hair.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I have a old Hp Microserver with a old AMD Radeon graphics cards which you use the catalyst driver for, but Ubunut dropper support for these cards in releases after the 14.0 version Do you guys know if those old cards are still supported by proper drivers in Pop OS? If you install the later versions of Ubuntu wihtout the proper AMD drivers then when you watch movies or Netflix then there is screen tearing etc.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Which one?
I hope this helps meneer. It is according the the Catalyst driver currently installed on the Lubuntu 14 something something. The next version of Ubuntu you cant get this driver anymore as far as I know. I tried and the screen tearing without the propriety driver was just killing me, so I switched back to the old Ubuntu 14. Luckily Chrome is up to date on it so Netflix and Showmax works, but VLC for example wont update anymore past 2.1, so videos with H.265 wont play etc. I know I could just buy new hardware, but other than this driver issue, the HP Microserver, though old, works 100%

1592045072585.png

Last edited:

Sl8er

Executive Member
I have a old Hp Microserver with a old AMD Radeon graphics cards which you use the catalyst driver for, but Ubunut dropper support for these cards in releases after the 14.0 version Do you guys know if those old cards are still supported by proper drivers in Pop OS? If you install the later versions of Ubuntu wihtout the proper AMD drivers then when you watch movies or Netflix then there is screen tearing etc.
I have an old gaming laptop from 2011.
I tried installing Pop_OS -with nvidia support- but it's a no-go. The GPU is too old.
I installed Elementary OS and that works just fine.
(No screen tearing with youtube or any other streaming / VOD services.)
The last driver I could get for this card (GTX560M) was 390.

Anyway, my point is EOS with an old GTX560M, with ver. 390 still works a charm.
If your AMD is in the same age range, I don't think it should be a problem for EOS, at least.
(I speak under correction, of course.)

I use the laptop mainly for browsing / youtubing when I'm away from the desktop.

Just thought I'd throw that out there :thumbsup:

bar1

Expert Member
how is the support for AMD drivers?
specifically the Radeon RX Vega M GH

Sl8er

Executive Member
AFAIK, AMD provides open source drivers natively -baked into the kernal.
So, generally the consensus is that AMD works better with Linux than nvidia does.
(This is not to say that nvidia sucks, it doesn't, AMD is just better integrated-or-something :) )

Crumbl0x

Most modern models work excellently with mesa and amdgpu, Vega models are also great but seem to have rare hiccups compared to the RX series, and for the RX 5500 / 5700 cards you'll want to run an extremely bleeding edge distro to get good performance for now due to the age.

Hemps

Honorary Master
Settled on mint 20 for now, subbed to some linux youtube channels before I get started.
I'm actually after something for work as well, linux I can install on a laptop, lock down and use to update our external hard drives we take offsite.
At the moment its all Windows machines, seems a good idea to have a linux setup in there somewhere as well apart from Freenas/Rockstor and Nextcloud php

rsync ssh with ransomware exclusion list

Last edited: