Porting from Telkom to Vodacom, while abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeClos

Hi folks. I am in a bit of a pickle.
I am stuck abroad and need to port my Telkom mobile number to my Vodacom SIM.

Both numbers are on prepaid.

Telkom has SMS roaming enabled only (prepaid cannot have call roaming) and Vodacom has both SMS and call roaming.

Problem is that I need my Telkom number urgently for work and calls and am willing to give up the Vodacom number for it (old number I've had for years).

1) Tried to do the porting but for the life of me cannot come right. Help please?
2) Cannot resort to call forwarding from abroad- network won't allow it
3) Cannot convert the Telkom number to contract from overseas so that I can enable full roaming

After 10+ hours with both customer cares I am completely lost and desperate.

Any thoughts please?

Tim Apple

If you have a modern smartphone with Wi-Fi Calling (VoWiFi) capability you could ask Telkom to enable Wi-Fi Calling on your prepaid sim.

It will allow you to make and receive calls and sms on your prepaid Telkom sim whilst abroad when connected to a Wi-Fi network.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
I am stuck abroad and need to port my Telkom mobile number to my Vodacom SIM.
As far as I know, once a telephone number has been assigned to a SIM you can't change that number on that SIM. You need a new, unactivated, RICA'ed SIM. You then have to use the existing SIM and SMS the new SIM card number to the network you want to port to. The porting process then activates the new SIM.

LeClos

Thanks folks. Wifi calling - great suggestion, don't think my current work device supports it unfortunately (Xiaomi Redmi 4X).

I have a RICA'ed Vodacom SIM which I want to have my number ported to - from Telkom to Vodacom. The current Vodacom phone number can be discarded.
I've tried to SMS the "PORTME <new SIM number>" approach a few times to no avail, and multiple calls with the call center yield conflicting answers but no solutions.

Any other thoughts?

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
What country are you in?

Can't you get a local sim and number to be contacted on while you are stuck over there?

Also, just a question: why do you need to be CALLED in today's day and age?

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
I have a RICA'ed Vodacom SIM which I want to have my number ported to - from Telkom to Vodacom. The current Vodacom phone number can be discarded.
Did you bother to read my post. You can't assign a new number to an activated SIM. It has to be an unactivated SIM. I even underlined and bolded UNACTIVATED.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
I have an activated SIM. Can I assign a new number to it?

Please help...
Yes I can. I just need your number, copy of your ID and your bank logon details. Oh, you may get some OTP SMS's from your bank, I'll need those. Also you will get a message from your network asking if you requested a port. Just answer yes. get me all of those and we'll talk soon.

mak2000

Expert Member
Can you not wait until you are back? This is going to be a disaster. At best of the times this process is not smooth but now they all have excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.