Post Office board resigns

Tinuva

The Magician
A good start. I do hope the whole situation gets sorted out, because it aint over yet.

StevenC

Expert Member
New board, new salaries must be negotiated and oh let's not forget the cANCer handshake signing bonus of millions of rands.
And then they will epicly fail, just like their predecessors and we will be on the merry go round of fail that this country is so good at.

Petec

Expert Member
A real tonne of small businesses have moved from Speed Services to courier companies. For door to door, these courier companies can't be beat, and the cherry on the cake is that they pick up the package from your premises. No more running down to the post office and waiting in queues.
SAPO is dead.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Any teacher looking for a job? Only BEE applications will be considered also you must be well known to bra comrad jz.

Fuzzbox

Expert Member
Close it down already.
Haven't missed it al all.
All mail and magazine subscriptions are digital.
Bye Bye.
R I P.

Valerion

Expert Member
Close it down already.
Haven't missed it al all.
All mail and magazine subscriptions are digital.
Bye Bye.
R I P.

Except that if you get a product from a Kickstarter or Indiegogo-type funding drive, the physical goods are almost always sent via USPS. Same with a lot of imported products.

Visser

Expert Member
I suppose that there are laws in place that will stop a private company from starting up and offering service that would eventually replace all current functions of the Post Office, right? I am not talking about a private courier, but rather a real private postal service.

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
I suppose that there are laws in place that will stop a private company from starting up and offering service that would eventually replace all current functions of the Post Office, right? I am not talking about a private courier, but rather a real private postal service.

Would be interesting to know if this has been successfully implemented anywhere else.

cfilorux

Post Office Bored

The Post Office had a board? My, isn't that an interesting revelation! I do wonder what they have been doing for the last few months, nay, years, while the mail increasingly gets lost, and now finally permanently lost. Imagine the vast practical difference that will not be made by their absence.

Last edited:

swb

@RPM - Can MyBB write an in depth post on SAPO alternatives? From local solutions to international solutions.

I've been searching through MyBB threads the past few days and found some helpful advice. Example: I only now discovered there is a local company here postbox-courier.com which a few mybb members recommends.

Would be great to have one article/guide to SAPO alternatives with a lot of advice/opinions/recommendations in the comments.

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
And then they appoint Simo Lushaba, who seems to be the best qualified person because of his Spoornet/Transnet background (nevermind him being also executive of Lonmin and non-executive at Harmony amongst a number of other companies).

If our government (and president) was not that useless, either would have declared a "state of emergency" (not just for SAPO, but all essential services such as Eskom, SAA) and started to look at privatising SOEs. There are many "blueprints" of how a SOE can work very well being a private company (such as Deutsche Post) and I highly doubt that many local "experts" will have an understanding of completely overhauling postal service and logistics (never mind the public servant/strike issue).

Lushaba is probably the least experienced - hell, he managed Rand Water and look where that has been going under his leadership. The only sensible thing the government can do is to privatise SAPO and open it up for sale.