Post Office closing 130 branches

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Post Office closing 130 branches

The South African Post Office is in the process of permanently closing 130 branches across the country.

The figure was confirmed by Post Office CEO Nomkhita Mona during a briefing to Parliament’s Portfolio Committee on Communications on Wednesday.

This comes after the Post Office was declared commercially insolvent, with its 2019/2020 financial results showing it had incurred losses of more than R1.7 billion, while its liabilities exceeded assets by R1.5 billion.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Is this the same post office that wants to deliver all our parcels? Useless bunch

rvZA

Executive Member
Is this the same post office that wants to deliver all our parcels? Useless bunch

Now just imagine you live in Randburg and (after 2 years) get the notice to collect the parcel at your friendly neighbourhood post office in..... Cradock..... because of all the closed branches....

RedViking

Nord of the South
Now just imagine you live in Randburg and (after 2 years) get the notice to collect the parcel at your friendly neighbourhood post office in..... Cradock..... because of all the closed branches....
They will probably keep one branch in each area. Might still take you 30 min to get to it.

BBSA

Honorary Master
Why close the branches, just give them another bailout.

hyperian

Expert Member
The post office down the road from where I grew up is closing down. Been open for 30+ years. Rent hasn't been paid in months.

Brian_G

Executive Member
Not surprised. My old key for an expired postbox still works and they still put some post in there sometimes. Huh? :unsure:

Last edited:

Sinbad

Honorary Master
It's quite a mind**** getting used to a functional post office again.

Yesterday I requested a redirection of my mail for 3 months as I'm moving. So anything addressed to me at my old address will automatically be delivered to my new address - just an online application and pay £30. This is important, because things of value actually get posted to you here (driver's license... credit card...)
Today I needed some cash, not sure where the nearest ATM is... went into the local grocery store which has an integrated post office - free cash withdrawal from my debit card, no purchase necessary...

Took out a new credit card - they posted me the credit agreement with a return envelope. Dropped it in the mail on Sunday. Tuesday I got email confirmation that my account was open. Pin arrived today (also by post). Card sometime in the next few days ...

Petec

Expert Member
It's quite a mind**** getting used to a functional post office again.

Yesterday I requested a redirection of my mail for 3 months as I'm moving. So anything addressed to me at my old address will automatically be delivered to my new address - just an online application and pay £30. This is important, because things of value actually get posted to you here (driver's license... credit card...)
Today I needed some cash, not sure where the nearest ATM is... went into the local grocery store which has an integrated post office - free cash withdrawal from my debit card, no purchase necessary...

Took out a new credit card - they posted me the credit agreement with a return envelope. Dropped it in the mail on Sunday. Tuesday I got email confirmation that my account was open. Pin arrived today (also by post). Card sometime in the next few days ...
When I was in the UK, I applied for a UK driving licence. Bing bang done, and received in the post 5 days later. Etc, etc. It's amazing to see systems actually working.