Powering things with a UPS

slvR

Expert Member
Hi,

So with Eskom being Eskom, I decided it would be worthwhile to setup an old UPS to power keep me online during the dark periods;

I have this: http://www.comx-computers.co.za/69A23BB-Sahara-1000VA-UPS-Electra-Plus-Buy-p-87901.php

I need to power my modem, firewall, switch and wireless AP. Don't know how much it uses but it's a LOT less than the UPS is said to have (600WATT). Only issue is getting the necessary cables/adapters to get it running.

It has this: http://puu.sh/f6agN/026cb79711.jpg
I understand that I can use the top one to "power" the UPS and the bottom 4 to power other things, problem is powering multiple small devices like this. Is it possible to get an adapter to multiplug sort of thing?

Please help an addict in need.

Thanks

Attachments

• 026cb79711.jpg
    026cb79711.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,581

User52

Just connect a power strip to a kettel plug extension (cut the end off both and connect them) thats what we did and its really cheap if you have them lying around.

DominionZA

Executive Member
Hi,

So with Eskom being Eskom, I decided it would be worthwhile to setup an old UPS to power keep me online during the dark periods;

I have this: http://www.comx-computers.co.za/69A23BB-Sahara-1000VA-UPS-Electra-Plus-Buy-p-87901.php

I need to power my modem, firewall, switch and wireless AP. Don't know how much it uses but it's a LOT less than the UPS is said to have (600WATT). Only issue is getting the necessary cables/adapters to get it running.

It has this: http://puu.sh/f6agN/026cb79711.jpg
I understand that I can use the top one to "power" the UPS and the bottom 4 to power other things, problem is powering multiple small devices like this. Is it possible to get an adapter to multiplug sort of thing?

Please help an addict in need.

Thanks
Just make one? I made for each of my UPS's. Easy as pie.

slvR

Expert Member

If I had the required stuff I would, seeing as how I don't I found just buying them to be easier but now I realize none of the 3 places I phoned had them in stock. Could you point me in the right direction to buying the kettle plug extension (is this what it's commonly called?) and this weekend I'll get to making one :D

Male Kettle plug(for plugging screen power into PC for example) cut the wire.
Multiplug that'll fit all the things you need, cut the wire.
Join two wires and tape.

DominionZA

Executive Member
If I had the required stuff I would, seeing as how I don't I found just buying them to be easier but now I realize none of the 3 places I phoned had them in stock. Could you point me in the right direction to buying the kettle plug extension (is this what it's commonly called?) and this weekend I'll get to making one :D
I had a few power cables laying around that I used to hook my screens up to my PC power supply.
Cut the male side off. Cut the plug off a multi adaptor. Joined up the cable with female plug to multi adapter. Sorted.

ponder

Honorary Master
Just buy a male kettle plug connector and attack it to your multiplug/strip outlet, doubt it's more than R20.

DominionZA

Executive Member
Just buy a male kettle plug connector and attack it to your multiplug/strip outlet, doubt it's more than R20.
UPS power out requires a female plug? Unless I am getting my males/females mixed up.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Rather don't connect the kettle lead directly to a multi-plug, those things are 9 out 10 times sealed units which means you have to join it at the wire.

Get a plug socket, like you get on the end of a extension lead. Open that up (they are meant to open up) and then plug your multiplug into that.

Like in the picture below:

1337170995.jpg

You get these at any hardware store (or Game/Makro) for between R12 and R25.

ponder

Honorary Master
UPS power out requires a female plug? Unless I am getting my males/females mixed up.

Power out is ALWAYS female, it's a safety thing! If it was male you would have exposed contacts which are deadly. Think about it for a second...

ponder

Honorary Master
Rather don't connect the kettle lead directly to a multi-plug, those things are 9 out 10 times sealed units which means you have to join it at the wire.

No, cut the plug off, strip the wires and crimp/solder them to a modular male kettle plug. They open via a screw, split in halve exposing the contacts.

url

DominionZA

Executive Member
Power out is ALWAYS female, it's a safety thing! If it was male you would have exposed contacts which are deadly. Think about it for a second...
Penny drop. I was looking at it from the outside and not the pins. Duh.. Thanks.

slvR

Expert Member
Will go to Builders tomorrow and grab everything, thanks!

When I open up the kettle lead and want to connect it to the extension lead, how would I know which 3 wires go where? (besides a diagram of the 3-ping extension, I have no clue) I'm assuming all kettle cords(?) will be color coded on the inside?

ponder

Honorary Master
Will go to Builders tomorrow and grab everything, thanks!

When I open up the kettle lead and want to connect it to the extension lead, how would I know which 3 wires go where? (besides a diagram of the 3-ping extension, I have no clue) I'm assuming all kettle cords(?) will be color coded on the inside?

It's labled. From what I remember the middle pin is earth.

EDIT:
iecdiag.png