PrEP: A Pill a Day Keeps The HIV Away

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
The ‘Start Talking, Stop HIV’ national campaign encourages gay and bisexual men to talk openly and honestly to each other about HIV before they have sex.
“It’s time to turn the volume up on HIV prevention,” said Jeff Krehely from America’s Human Rights Campaign, which backed the CDC’s efforts. “The virus is disproportionately affecting gay and bisexual men and transgender women – particularly in communities of colour.”

One of the most striking elements of the campaign is the endorsement of new treatment and prevention options, including the contentious use of PrEP (Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis), such as the drug Truvada.
“Even before the foreplay, something oughta be on your mind,” says the voiceover on the campaign’s video ads. “Talking. About testing, your status, and condoms. And new options like medicines that prevent and treat HIV.”
PrEP is becoming an accepted form of prevention, especially among gay men who have multiple partners and who do not use condoms or are in a relationship with an HIV positive partner. The CDC earlier this month recommended the use of PREP in its revised guidelines in these circumstances.

“While a vaccine or cure may one day end the HIV epidemic, PrEP is a powerful tool that has the potential to alter the course of the US HIV epidemic today,” said Dr Jonathan Mermin, director of the CDC’s National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD and TB Prevention, in a statement.

According to the CDC, studies have shown that if used daily PrEP is safe and is able to reduce HIV infection by as much as 90 percent.
While some see the drug as a revolutionary new option for gay men, others are critical of its use, fearing that it will promote irresponsible behaviour. The term “Truvada whore” has been disparagingly used against gay men who choose to use PrEP.
Michael Weinstein, president of the Los Angeles-based AIDS Healthcare Foundation, recently warned that its use “will be a catastrophe for HIV prevention in this country. Men don’t need more excuses to not use condoms.”
The Pretoria based OUT LGBT Well-being says on its Men2Men website that PrEP is not yet available at government clinics in South Africa but can used under medical supervision if you’re able to pay for it (medical aids will not currently foot the bill).
Organisations like OUT can assist you in sourcing PrEP and you can also speak to your GP about a prescription, although not all doctors may be knowledgeable about its use.
Watch two of the CDC’s new ‘Start Talking, Stop HIV’ video ads below.

[video=youtube;WHZaTWWQcwM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHZaTWWQcwM[/video]
Could the argument that I have been making against the advertising of circumcision be applied against this also? I want to say yes, but then again this has got a prevention rate of 90%, not the marginal benefit, if any that cutting gives. Hopefully people will realize that 90% is not 100%.

Thoughts?

Pitbull

Verboten
Ockie, I think you need to speak to someone about your gay obsession. This can't be healthy man :D

I know you're gay. This obsession is weird even for a gay man :eek:

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Ockie, I think you need to speak to someone about your gay obsession. This can't be healthy man :D

I know you're gay. This obsession is weird even for a gay man :eek:
HIV is hardly a gay topic, but this treatment seems to be taking off among gay men. I think it is a interesting topic, gay or straight. I read normal news and I follow gay news topic and articles also, and if I think it is interesting, I post it here in the relevant sections.

Pitbull

Verboten
HIV is hardly a gay topic, but this treatment seems to be taking off among gay men. I think it is a interesting topic, gay or straight. I read normal news and I follow gay news topic and articles also, and if I think it is interesting, I post it here in the relevant sections.
Not what I meant. Let me show you... Hold on for a sec let me get the topics you started.

edit:
World's oldest erotic graffiti is gay
Aussie gay rugby team to make history
Religio Antinoi - The gay religion
U.S. court strikes down Kentucky same-sex marriage
Supreme court allows California to ban gay "cure"
Religious "help" linked to gay suicide
Africa's first gay TV network on its way
Victory for Utah’s gay couples
Metro rejects Durban Gay Pride, backs homophobia
US announces sanctions over Uganda anti-gay law

Just a few I could gather quickly

Last edited:

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Not what I meant. Let me show you... Hold on for a sec let me get the topics you started.
So I start a lot of gay topics or gay orientated topics or something that discusses something gay etc. I also start a lot of Boeing, Airbus etc threads. Is that a problem also? I am gay, I follow gay topics and post here if I deem it interesting, funny etc. I love airliners, so I follow those articles and I post them here. Is that a concern?

You dont have to read those threads btw.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
The use of Truvada as PrEP could help prevent herpes infection

The use of HIV drug Truvada as pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP), to prevent HIV infection, could also lower the infection rates of genital herpes.
Despite claims by opponents that introducing PrEP as a preventative measure against new HIV infections could increase STI infection rates, a study of 131 hetrosexual couples in serodiscordent relationships, meaning one partner is HIV positive, and the other is HIV negative, found a 30% reduction in herpes infection rates whilst taking the medication.
The couples, in Uganda and Kenya, were almost a third less likely to become infected with the HSV-2 strain of herpes.
The use of Truvada as PrEP, has seen support from organisations such as the Centers for Disease Control in the US, which issued recommendations that PrEP could play an important role in the prevention of HIV transmission.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/07/07/study-use-of-prep-drug-could-lower-herpes-infection-rates/

Pitbull

Verboten
So I start a lot of gay topics or gay orientated topics or something that discusses something gay etc. I also start a lot of Boeing, Airbus etc threads. Is that a problem also? I am gay, I follow gay topics and post here if I deem it interesting, funny etc. I love airliners, so I follow those articles and I post them here. Is that a concern?

You dont have to read those threads btw.
Just a personal observation mate. No need to get all stroppy. If I'm wrong so be it. Just does't seem healthy :p

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender

edit:
World's oldest erotic graffiti is gay
Aussie gay rugby team to make history
Religio Antinoi - The gay religion
U.S. court strikes down Kentucky same-sex marriage
Supreme court allows California to ban gay "cure"
Religious "help" linked to gay suicide
Africa's first gay TV network on its way
Victory for Utah’s gay couples
Metro rejects Durban Gay Pride, backs homophobia
US announces sanctions over Uganda anti-gay law

Just a few I could gather quickly
And?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Just a personal observation mate. No need to get all stroppy. If I'm wrong so be it. Just does't seem healthy :p
Following news relevant to you or your community is not healthy?

Not getting stroppy, I just do not see your point. If you don't find the threads I post, gay/straight/airline/airliner etc relevant or interesting, do not read it. Many of my threads are supposed to be humorous also, but if you do not find it funny, then again, maybe just dont read my threads?

Pitbull

Verboten
Following news relevant to you or your community is not healthy?

Not getting stroppy, I just do not see your point. If you don't find the threads I post, gay/straight/airline/airliner etc relevant or interesting, do not read it. Many of my threads are supposed to be humorous also, but if you do not find it funny, then again, maybe just dont read my threads?
Again, you missing what I'm saying completely.

I don't mind reading your threads I never have I know because I have read most if not all of them...

argh... nvm.

Take it which ever way you want to.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Again, you missing what I'm saying completely.

I don't mind reading your threads I never have I know because I have read most if not all of them...

argh... nvm.

Take it which ever way you want to.
I am not taking it any specific way. You made comment, and I am not sure what the problem is. /shrug

STS

Mafia Detective
Ockie is simply sharing his part of his community, as some eople share sports, finances, medical related stuff, etc. we all have our expertise

edit: except Sam

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Ockie is simply sharing his part of his community, as some eople share sports, finances, medical related stuff, etc. we all have our expertise

lol

Sorry, I wasn't trying to add to pitbull's posts.
I understand this is an important topic for you.
Ag it is alright. Just cause I think something is interesting or important dont mean a lot of other people will think so too.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad

Sam's an expert on the hotties who grace your fb friends list :D

Electric

Honorary Master
Ag it is alright. Just cause I think something is interesting or important dont mean a lot of other people will think so too.
If this treatment is effective for heterosexual as well as homosexual intercourse then I don't see why it should only be interesting to you.
AIDS is a problem in this country and more ppl should take note of possible treatments.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Time to get this thread back on topic.

PrEP is becoming an accepted form of prevention, especially among gay men who have multiple partners and who do not use condoms or are in a relationship with an HIV positive partner.
As Adam Savage would say... well there's your problem!

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
If this treatment is effective for heterosexual as well as homosexual intercourse then I don't see why it should only be interesting to you.
AIDS is a problem in this country and more ppl should take note of possible treatments.
It most definitely would be effective with hetro intercourse, if not perhaps more so as hetero sex is considered less risky. Or rather vaginal sex is less likely to transmit HIV compared to anal sex. Unless of course the hetero couple are engaging in anal also because then the risk is going to be the same.

I dont know if I would consider going onto Prep if our medical aids started covering it. Not sure how I feel about taking a drug everyday for just in case, but then again I am also extremely scared of HIV, to the point where I sometimes get the idea in my head and I lie awake for hours worrying about it. Even though condoms are used, you dont put it on as soon as you start fooling around etc. So it is always in the back of my mind. Maybe this would take that worry away, or alleviate it somewhat at least.