Pressure Cookers

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Electric Pressure Cookers

So with the impending mother's day and me being out of the country I'm doing some remote shopping.

https://www.yuppiechef.com/search.htm?searchstr=pressure+cooker

Is there any particular reason to get the more expensive electric units on this page?

I've not had a good run with Russel Hobbs so will probably avoid that and I seem to recall my Slow Cooker is a Salton and that thing has been going strong.

So any particular reason to pay more for the Defy or Mellerware?

Is there any other brand I should consider buying elsewhere for any good reason?

It's not a very technical device so I can't imagine there would be much difference, but figured I would ask anyway.

Last edited:

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
How is it the electronic models are so much cheaper than the stove top ones? :confused:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
https://www.takealot.com/russell-hobbs-electric-pressure-cooker/PLID42378443

how does this compare ?

I see it has a slow cook setting as well

does it work as both a pressure cooker and slow cooker ?
I will never buy a Russel Hobbs product again.

But outside of that most of them have a slower cooker function where the temperate is kept lower and timed for longer.

Not sure if this one maybe had a pressureless function for that specifically but should be no reason you couldn’t just open the valve and run it on a low setting manually for hours.

I ended up with the Defy and quite happy. Would have been nice if it had an actual sauté function but I found a way to manually do that.

Seriously

Honorary Master
Bought 3 AEG cookers. Two for wife one for dauhter. Two still going strong. One down as it was placed on hot stove and botom plastic melted.
Bought another but as AEG is apparently out of production had to buy Russle Hobs. Not bad but not the same feel as AEG.

Inevitability

Expert Member
Fagor 6L from makro/PnP
if you are lucky you'll get it on special for R800 , normal price R1k
Stainless Steel , thick base

I've had the Tedelex and cheapie Checkers brand aluminium ones ... the Fagor is the best.
Pity we don't get the bigger size s/s Fagor models here.
America's Test Kitchen rates the Fagor 8L model as the best value for money option one can buy.
Watch this video below ... even if we can't get these models, there's a lot of value in knowing what elements makes a good pressure cooker so you can look for the same features in any pressure cooker you see while shopping around...
[video=youtube;IiCUKA7dDUs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiCUKA7dDUs[/video]

cn@

Expert Member
Bla-bla-bla.

I'm sure she has a point in her review - between aluminium pots and steel pots and tevlon covered pots (if you have to split hairs). My reccomendation still stands (because I don't split hairs, I look at practical considerations).

Electric pressure cookers all the way.

I'll go with Electric pressure cookers always because those devices are like advanced air-to-ground missles, fire and forget. That's what I want to do.

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Bought 3 AEG cookers. Two for wife one for dauhter. Two still going strong. One down as it was placed on hot stove and botom plastic melted.
Bought another but as AEG is apparently out of production had to buy Russle Hobs. Not bad but not the same feel as AEG.
Funny I did that with the Defy a couple of weeks ago and it still lives.

Defy 1 - AEG 0

:)

I will never buy Russel Hobbs again after repeated product failures.

That being said they just rebrand other people’s stuff these days and make nothing of their own so not all products are necessarily bad.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Fagor 6L from makro/PnP
if you are lucky you'll get it on special for R800 , normal price R1k
Stainless Steel , thick base

I've had the Tedelex and cheapie Checkers brand aluminium ones ... the Fagor is the best.
Pity we don't get the bigger size s/s Fagor models here.
America's Test Kitchen rates the Fagor 8L model as the best value for money option one can buy.
Watch this video below ... even if we can't get these models, there's a lot of value in knowing what elements makes a good pressure cooker so you can look for the same features in any pressure cooker you see while shopping around...
[video=youtube;IiCUKA7dDUs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiCUKA7dDUs[/video]
Conversation was specifically about electric ones though.