Problem with HDMI Splitter going to HDMI -> DVI Adapter

colemine77

Hi Guys

I hope someone can help me with this as I am stumped. I have 42 inch LCD tv and next to it I have my PC with a 23 inch LCD monitor. The TV only has 2 HDMI ports. Going to the TV is a HDPVR, HDMI DVD player, PC secondary display (HDMI) and a PS3. I leave the PVR on one port and the other 3 I plug in and out as required. Which is a pain. The Pc monitor has a vga and DVI port. The pc primary display I connect with VGA which works fine. On the DVI port I want to connect the PS3 for those times the TV is occupied by Masterchef or whatever else the wife is watching. Plugging the PS3 directly into the monitor with a HDMI to DVI adapter works perfectly, but like I said I am tired of plugging and unplugging the whole time. So I got a HDMI switch and a HDMI splitter. I connect the splitter to the PS3 and then one of the split sides to the HDMI switch which also contains now the DVD player and PC and then into the TV's second port. All this works perfectly. PS3 and all else works fine and switches beautifully. Now the problem comes with the monitor. The PS3 will now not show on the monitor anymore. The light will go blue like it is detecting an input then show no signal and the go off. Then blue again and then no signal then off. Repeating like this every 5 seconds. Once or twice I actually got it to show a picture but as soon as you switch anything off in the chain it won't work again. Not sure how I got it to show in the first place. I have switched around different cables as well as using the other port on the splitter. Nothing. I have also turned everything on and off in different orders to no avail. If I plug the PS3 into the splitter then into the switch and then take the output of the switch into the monitor it works fine, but that doesn't solve my problem. Anyone got any ideas please.

madrynn

Ah, the wonderful world of HDMI.

I have similar problems in my line of work. I have stopped selling monitors for this very reason, and only do TV's (with the output from my machines).

One model of monitor works fine, then the next generation goes on strike again. Some show the image for a split second before going back to stand-by.
If I had to venture a guess, the splitter/switch output frequency may be different than the monitor supports, the signal may get scewed by the splitter or, could even be that the output signal power is too high or too low... most of those splitters are pretty cheap and goedkoop is duur koop!

I'll be keeping my eyes on this thread as well.
Goodluck!

AVSupply

AV Supply representative
Company Rep
I recently helped a customer with a similar problem. He wanted to output a media player on his HDMI enabled TV and DVI enabled Projector, and ended up buying a powered splitter from us. It didn't work, regardless of the combinations he tried, so I sent him a new 1x2 powered splitter, a non powered 1x2 splitter, and a bi-directional HDMI switch.

He mailed back a few days later and said the bi-directional switch was the only splitter that worked correctly in his setup.

If you keen to give it a try, and if it doesn't work for you, we'll gladly give you a full refund

Here's the link -> http://www.avsupply.co.za/product_info.php/directional-hdmi-switch-2x1-1x2-p-483

**Please note: this switch is non-powered and only outputs to 1 display at a time by means of a push button

Your setup will be PS3 -> Bi-Directional Switch Output A -> Monitor / Output B -> HDMI switch -> TV

colemine77

@AV Supply
That might just work. I don't need to use both displays at the same time. Never thought of 2 switches, and like I said when I plug it into the switch it works. Will consider that option.

@Rickster
I got the DVD long before the PS3 and the DVD powers the surround sound. It also has a digital coax input I user for DSTV surround sound but the ps3 only has an optical out. Now I still need a easy/cheap way to convert optical to coax then I can have blueray with full surround as well. But that is a problem for another day.

Last edited:

AVSupply

AV Supply representative
Company Rep
@AV Supply
That might just work. I don't need to use both displays at the same time. Never thought of 2 switches, and like I said when I plug it into the switch it works. Will consider that option.

Cool, just make sure you have some black tape handy - the Blue LED is a little on the bright side :)

Pada

Executive Member
I hate HDMI with a passion!

Like Samsung PC monitors wouldn't go into standby when using the HDMI port, but as soon as we use an HDMI-to-DVI converter and plug it in the DVI port, standby works 100%.

Like at our on church building we have the same brand visual switching equipment, but everything is in VGA in the one location and HDMI at the other location.
With VGA, you can switch on the equipment in any order that you like! At the other location, you have to be very precise about the order and how quickly you switch stuff on - both the sources (PC's, DVD players) and destinations (projectors & preview screens) - otherwise the splitter/switcher won't recognise a source/destination and then you have to restart the whole process!

The problem could very well be due to EDID issues or HDCP (content protection).

... and this is why I'd prefer DVI, DP & VGA over HDMI any day of the week!

Here is a comprehensive guide that you can also try to follow to identify/solve your HDMI issues: http://www.techradar.com/news/home-cinema/high-definition/common-hdmi-problems-and-solutions-923327

colemine77

Hi Pada

I am also the sound tech at our church so I feel your pain. I tried some of the things in your article and this is what I found. If I send the PS3 display to the tv, then cycle through the switch, the Monitor will come on. Or else, if I show the display on the tv and then unplug an replug the cable going to the monitor it will also show. It seems if the splitter has a link to the tv it will link to the monitor as well. But if the tv is off or on another channel, no go. Never knew HDMI was so finicky.