Problems with Discovery Bank

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Problems with Discovery Bank

Discovery Bank has been charging some clients interest on their credit cards despite offering interest-free transactions and deducting the full outstanding balance on the cards via debit order.

One client approached MyBroadband after months of having to complain about the interest charged on his account.

Thor

Honorary Master
Jip, this isn't new.

Discovery Bank is a disaster.

From the card not working, the app not working from time to time.

The wrong balance showing.

Its just a miracle this bank is allowed to operate, issue is there's no clued up cybersecurity body in SA to do audits and call out stuff.

krycor

Honorary Master
Mine is working fine granted I don’t use it as a bank account nor primary and will kill it shortly.

BBSA

Honorary Master
What happened to their planned racist share scheme?

6spdmanual

Expert Member
Yeah. I left a long time ago now. It felt so rushed and unready. Felt like they were in such a hurry to get a product out.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Jip, this isn't new.

Discovery Bank is a disaster.

From the card not working, the app not working from time to time.

The wrong balance showing.

Its just a miracle this bank is allowed to operate, issue is there's no clued up cybersecurity body in SA to do audits and call out stuff.

I'm intrigued as to what you think this supposed "clued up cybersecurity body" would actually do audits on and what authority over a banking institution you assume they would have?

ziyaad.jak

Also left long ago. The benefits on the old Discovery credit card through FNB was great - decent cash backs from PnP, Woolies, Nandos, BP, etc. The Discovery Bank reward scheme was so convoluted, it confused their own people, and the consumer was always left worse off compared to the old credit card. Piss poor interest rates and their customer service was non-existent - no direct line or email to a consultant...always through the app.

maumau

Honorary Master
Still using their Discovery credit card because Capitec card does not load on Samsung Pay.

Thor

Honorary Master
I'm intrigued as to what you think this supposed "clued up cybersecurity body" would actually do audits on and what authority over a banking institution you assume they would have?
Discovery Bank would not have gotten the green light in the EU.

d0b33

Honorary Master
What is this purpose of Discovery Bank anyway other than to stroke the ego of Adrian Gore? I don't see the appeal.

rvZA

Expert Member
Shame man, seems they just can't get things right. There is always FNB, Nedbank.....