Program sizes not shown.

Barrymore

Windows 7 - I need to make space on my hard drive but "uninstall programs" in Control panel shows most of the programs without its size shown so I have no idea which ones take up the most space so I can decide which to uninstall.
Is there any way I can view the sizes of all the installed programs?

WAslayer

Expert Member
treesize is your best friend here.. there is a free version..

Barrymore

Are these freeware downloads safe and do they install additional unwanted programs?

Aquadyne

Expert Member
I can vouch for Mindgems. Clean and good reputation - not intrusive at all.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Are these freeware downloads safe and do they install additional unwanted programs?
Can vouch for Biometric's link, I've used that one before, was just having trouble remembering its name.
Also Windirstat. They're all long established freeware products.

Clive2

Otherwise write a brief command script like this:
First insert writable media such as a flash drive (with known drive letter).
In this example, flash drive is F:
Click Start, type CMD (without enter key)
Left-Click on the CMD icon that appears.
At the C:\> prompt (or whatever your default drive is, enter the following commands

cd\
dir/a/s>f:\fullhdd.txt

This gives you a complete and VERY LARGE text document of all files and their storage details.
Otherwise if you know in which folder the programs are you can CD program_path first to narrow down list.

Notepad can edit fairly large text files but may hang if RAM is busy or limited.
HXD (Hex Editor) is my preferred large file chopper, as I've at times edited 10MB files, with 4GB dual RAM.
HXC can also change TAB character (09h) to space (20h) and remove the extended comma character (FFh) from file sizes.
With practice, these TXT file-lists can be converted to comma-delimited CSV for import into Excel.
Then the 'Size' column can be used for sorting.
Long process, but eventually works.

Batista

Executive Member
Otherwise write a brief command script like this:
First insert writable media such as a flash drive (with known drive letter).
In this example, flash drive is F:
Click Start, type CMD (without enter key)
Left-Click on the CMD icon that appears.
At the C:\> prompt (or whatever your default drive is, enter the following commands

cd\
dir/a/s>f:\fullhdd.txt

This gives you a complete and VERY LARGE text document of all files and their storage details.
Otherwise if you know in which folder the programs are you can CD program_path first to narrow down list.

Notepad can edit fairly large text files but may hang if RAM is busy or limited.
HXD (Hex Editor) is my preferred large file chopper, as I've at times edited 10MB files, with 4GB dual RAM.
HXC can also change TAB character (09h) to space (20h) and remove the extended comma character (FFh) from file sizes.
With practice, these TXT file-lists can be converted to comma-delimited CSV for import into Excel.
Then the 'Size' column can be used for sorting.
Long process, but eventually works.
Nice:)