Project Manager - Team Lead

Ryan Innes

Our client is a leading service provider of online surveys, e-learning, platform development, mobile development, WhatsApp solutions and a variety of other offerings to large corporate clients. They are looking for an experienced Software Team Leader and Project Manager (Waterfall) to head up there PM team and manage a few key projects. They work in a professional and comfortable environment in Muizenberg, Cape Town, where the focus is on teamwork, collaboration, and the ability to achieve results.

Description:
• Manage the Project Management Team, including
o Work/project allocation
o Monitor workload and efficiency of team
o Facilitate all team calls/check-ins
o Point of escalation for any project issues
o Conduct performance reviews
o Assist with recruitment for team
o Monitor employee well-being and foster good working relationships

• Project manage key projects, including
o Foster and/or maintain strong client relationships with existing and new clients
o Create and deliver accurate and engaging presentations to clients
o Obtain briefs from clients and facilitate the generation of scope of work documents, liaising with the project management team
o Development of strategy and time frames for projects
o Work closely with other teams to ensure that client’s expectations are met and projects are delivered timeously
o Identify and communicate project risks throughout project lifecycles

• Requirements:
o 2+ years’ Team Leader experience in a software environment
o 3+ years’ experience in a project manager role (software, not hardware)
o Accuracy and attention to detail essential
o Self-motivated with ability to work as part of a team
o Good writing and communication skills
o Strong time management and administration skills
o Experience working on App development an advantage

Please note: due to the current COVID-19 pandemic all staff are currently working from home. Applicants must have a high-speed internet connection at home, as well as a quiet space to work. Applicants must be available for an interview via Google Meet, must be South African citizens or hold work permits and be based in Cape Town.

CTC based on experience with a maximum budget of R600K pa.
Leave: 20 days per pa.
Permanent employees on medical through the company receive part company contribution.
Permanent employees are enrolled on the company death, disability, and dread disease insurance policy.
Further learning assistance.

To apply please DM me or email ryan@pureplacements.co.za

Last edited:

retromodcoza

A more realistic salary range for the above position would be R65,000 to R85,000 a month , or R840,000 to R1m a year , not R600,000.

If the person is not expected to be technical or have written code before , you can drop that a bit. However , they should have written code before to have led a software team before.

Do companies actually find good people at the above types of salary range? Are you closing deals at these types of salaries? I'm at the level stated (I hope anyway), hons degree , built multiple products and led (smallish) teams , and was being paid the proposed salary 4 years ago.

Mixing up "IT" and "software" in the ad makes it look like the company doesn't quite know what it actually wants. Software companies typically don't use phrases like "IT Software Environment" or "IT project manager role". I would say this was written by someone who is disconnected from the actual development work and doesn't know what the role should entail.

Perhaps go back to these guys and get some clearer specs for the ad. Get the managers out of the way and talk to some actual devs.

Markd

I think in Covid times they're bound to find someone that'll take it, just to have a job. A lot of projects were canned as a result of lockdown so PM's in many spaces have seen some hard times as a result. It is a pretty strange position asking for what would usually be senior experience for not so senior years+.

Ryan Innes

A more realistic salary range for the above position would be R65,000 to R85,000 a month , or R840,000 to R1m a year , not R600,000.

If the person is not expected to be technical or have written code before , you can drop that a bit. However , they should have written code before to have led a software team before.

Do companies actually find good people at the above types of salary range? Are you closing deals at these types of salaries? I'm at the level stated (I hope anyway), hons degree , built multiple products and led (smallish) teams , and was being paid the proposed salary 4 years ago.

Mixing up "IT" and "software" in the ad makes it look like the company doesn't quite know what it actually wants. Software companies typically don't use phrases like "IT Software Environment" or "IT project manager role". I would say this was written by someone who is disconnected from the actual development work and doesn't know what the role should entail.

Perhaps go back to these guys and get some clearer specs for the ad. Get the managers out of the way and talk to some actual devs.
Thanks for the feedback @retromodcoza agree mixing IT and software in the brief has muddied the water, I've updated accordingly. WRG to CTC this is a small company that can't compete with the corporate offerings and are looking for a person that has been there and done that WTG to corporate life and is looking for something less stressful and hopefully a better quality of life. The person won't be expected to have written code before., they will be leading a team of 3 other PM's.

Again appreciate the constructive comments

Last edited:

Ryan Innes

I think in Covid times they're bound to find someone that'll take it, just to have a job. A lot of projects were canned as a result of lockdown so PM's in many spaces have seen some hard times as a result. It is a pretty strange position asking for what would usually be senior experience for not so senior years+.
@Markd correct there were a large number of PM's affected by Covid and were/are on CTC's mentioned by @retromodcoza

We're being careful with expectation management and are ultimately rather saying upfront that this isn't the role for the applicant as we both know that as soon as the market picks up they'll move on, will be a lose, lose situation all round unfortunately.

Have a great day further.

retromodcoza

Thanks for the feedback @retromodcoza agree mixing IT and software in the brief has muddied the water, I've updated accordingly. WRG to CTC this is a small company that can't compete with the corporate offerings and are looking for a person that has been there and done that WTG to corporate life and is looking for something less stressful and hopefully a better quality of life. The person won't be expected to have written code before., they will be leading a team of 3 other PM's.

Again appreciate the constructive comments

Ah - ok in that case less technical = lower salary. Seems ok then.

Markd

It's the kind of role I would really be interested in myself, just not at the salary unfortunately. Good luck! I'm sure someone suitable will pop up.

retromodcoza

Interested to know - how did they revise it? Did they decide it was too expensive/ no suitable candidates/project cancelled/over budget/ over time?