Projector Needed for Classroom

weelzSA

Expert Member
As the title reads we are looking for a projector which main use will be to project on to a wall in a "class room".

This is for a school in Malawi we are tying to help out. Someone will be travelling from Cape Town to Malawi in 6 days time which helps not having to ship over but is now a rush to find one.

I have been looking around online to see if there are any deals and so far found a couple options but each have their own issues.

Amazon - Projector - R2000

Issue with amazon is if anything goes wrong or arrives DOA we are going to have problems. No name brand.

Makro - Projector - R3000

Prefer buying it locally as I can test it before also if anything goes wrong parts / warranty is alot easier to sort out.

Makro - Projector - R5000

Much more pricey but a good name brand and 2 year warranty.

So basically looking for advice on which to go for or if there is another one you can recommend in the price range. As mentioned the main purpose will be to project the classroom work on a wall so they can teach more kids at once.

weelzSA

Expert Member
Anyone with any feedback please?

Can also look at other stores or online stores (TakeAlot etc) - just need advice.

sandwitch

I would get the Epson because it's 3200 lumens. The amazon no-name and the makro one are 1200 (amazon=according to reviews) and that's useless in an everyday classroom environment. Always go for the most lumens and the greatest contrast.

I couldn't see anything about the contrast but I just had a quick look.

weelzSA

Expert Member
I would get the Epson because it's 3200 lumens. The amazon no-name and the makro one are 1200 (amazon=according to reviews) and that's useless in an everyday classroom environment. Always go for the most lumens and the greatest contrast.

I couldn't see anything about the contrast but I just had a quick look.
Thanks that was my thought too going for highest lumens. With it also being sent to remote area I would want something that won’t die after a couple uses (I know there now way to guarantee the epson won’t).

sandwitch

The only thing wrong with the Epson is that its lamp life isn't as long as the others but in every other way it's the best of the lot.

sandwitch

Any other you suggest in the roughly R5k price range?
I didn't log in for a while so I think my reply might be too late for you, sorry weelzSA. They're all pretty much of a muchness and I can't jump down this rabbithole because I'd end up upgrading mine.
Whatever you look at, first compare the lumens, contrast and and then the lamplife.
If the lamplives are similar look at the cost of replacement bulbs and then get the one with the cheapest replacement bulbs. If you can send a replacement bulb down with the projector that would be even better. There's nothing more frustrating then having a projector in the classroom and having to wait for a spare part.