Good day
Can anyone please recommend a property lawyer that can assist with transfer of property which is hanging with City of Cape Town.
Background, my mom bought a house in the township from someone who never collected title deed. The properties are under of City of CT and we have been unsuccessful to get the city to transfer the house to my moms name despite all paperwork and efforts for over 25 years.
The houses were developed in one of the townships in CT around the 80s, but for some reason transferred to the state. I believe there were building issues and developer left leading to state acquiring them (not 100% sure how state acquired but this is what some old people who bought initially say). According to the city, the original purchasers were given one day to collect tittle deed which the original owner failed to do. This lady then moved to another area and sold the house to my mom. The arrangement was informal coz it was rent to buy, however they had formal agreements in place (lease agreement and sale agreement) but no lawyers involved(this was from 1992 to 1996 when she finally bought).
We tried so many lawyers and they say only the city can do the transfer.
The City has been sitting on our case for more than 10 years, and according to the official there are a number of these cases in the area were original owner failed to get title deed and sold house.The new owners can’t get the houses transferred to their names! The officer claims the City of Cape Town first needs to address the absence of title deed then transfer to new owners. He says this is something not priority to the senior people at head office, because they do raise it as they sitting wihh thy pending cases. They’ve been saying that for past 3 years I have tried to assist my mom. I am exhausted and we want to sell the house and move but stuck.
I am now looking for any recommendations of an attorney that has dealt with what I think is a legacy issue involving state and willing to pay. My mom is 64 and the original owner over 80. I am afraid we are running out of time and so frustrated, never mind my mom who has spent money renovating a home that still is not her essentially.
Private attorneys cannot do the transfer because (according to them) these are the state properties!
I hope I made sense.
Can anyone please recommend a property lawyer that can assist with transfer of property which is hanging with City of Cape Town.
Background, my mom bought a house in the township from someone who never collected title deed. The properties are under of City of CT and we have been unsuccessful to get the city to transfer the house to my moms name despite all paperwork and efforts for over 25 years.
The houses were developed in one of the townships in CT around the 80s, but for some reason transferred to the state. I believe there were building issues and developer left leading to state acquiring them (not 100% sure how state acquired but this is what some old people who bought initially say). According to the city, the original purchasers were given one day to collect tittle deed which the original owner failed to do. This lady then moved to another area and sold the house to my mom. The arrangement was informal coz it was rent to buy, however they had formal agreements in place (lease agreement and sale agreement) but no lawyers involved(this was from 1992 to 1996 when she finally bought).
We tried so many lawyers and they say only the city can do the transfer.
The City has been sitting on our case for more than 10 years, and according to the official there are a number of these cases in the area were original owner failed to get title deed and sold house.The new owners can’t get the houses transferred to their names! The officer claims the City of Cape Town first needs to address the absence of title deed then transfer to new owners. He says this is something not priority to the senior people at head office, because they do raise it as they sitting wihh thy pending cases. They’ve been saying that for past 3 years I have tried to assist my mom. I am exhausted and we want to sell the house and move but stuck.
I am now looking for any recommendations of an attorney that has dealt with what I think is a legacy issue involving state and willing to pay. My mom is 64 and the original owner over 80. I am afraid we are running out of time and so frustrated, never mind my mom who has spent money renovating a home that still is not her essentially.
Private attorneys cannot do the transfer because (according to them) these are the state properties!
I hope I made sense.