PS3 Console - Backward compatability

LiamRG

Hi

I read recently that Sony will be releasing a PS3 that will be able to play PS2 games.
I know the very first version in SA was but that was changed.

Any ideas or was that a bogus article?

Regards
L

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
I think it was only the 60gig version that was backwards compatible...

JvZa

The only way how to play PS2 games on PS3 is to have the correct version of the console. Either your Playstation 3 can play PS and PS2 games or it can't, and there's not much to do about it. Most of the PS3 models simply cannot play older titles as they lack the necessary hardware and firmware. However, a few models do have backwards compatibility. The 20 Gb, 60 Gb, and original 80 Gb models all have backwards compatibility, either through hardware or software emulation. The other models lack backwards compatibility, so even knowing how to play PS2 games on PS3 won't help you out much here.

LiamRG

Whats the cheapeast retail price for one and where can I buy it?

PDonut

ye only original 60gig was backwards compatible here. There is no current ps3 that has it. As for Sony planning to add it to future models, there isnt any confirmation about that yet.

matewis

There's a rumour going round based on a patent they filed that a future firmware update will make it emulate a PS2.

I am Penguin

Executive Member
The only way how to play PS2 games on PS3 is to have the correct version of the console. Either your Playstation 3 can play PS and PS2 games or it can't, and there's not much to do about it. Most of the PS3 models simply cannot play older titles as they lack the necessary hardware and firmware. However, a few models do have backwards compatibility. The 20 Gb, 60 Gb, and original 80 Gb models all have backwards compatibility, either through hardware or software emulation. The other models lack backwards compatibility, so even knowing how to play PS2 games on PS3 won't help you out much here.

Wait! By the 25th we will all know whether Sony released the soon to be released PS2 Software emulator for the PS3.

labratza

Expert Member
well that is pretty cool wish that they could give us a date as to when this firmware will be released

labratza

Expert Member
well that just proves that there is no decent big company out there mmmmmm

semiautomatix

Honorary Master
Its something that is sorely missing from the PS3, especially since the PS2 still sells so well and many are unwilling to abandon their library. Suspect such a move will encourage more PS2 owners to make the move if they have the cash.