PS3 Slim BSOD? Help please.

zeridine

I think my PS3 departed to the afterlife this morning. When i switch it on i get the PS3 splash screen with the orchestra sound thingie, then immediately a blue screen of death with this in a load of languages:

"Setting information is corrupted. Press the X button to repair and restore default settings."
edit:
2410476035_2a69902183_o.jpg
(pic from SA PS3 support site)

after which the Yellow light flickers for a second or so and then the system just hangs with a black screen while it is still on. pressing on/off does nothing. controller does nothing. Should i then pull the power and restart, i get a yucky SD configuring menu > press PS on remote > HDMI setup > timezone > date and time > internet network settings - cant pick up anything wired with a normally working router present. should i press O to cancel network setup, i get a black screen with:

"Data for unregistered users was found on the hard disk and has been restored. Data has been restored for the users listed below."
followed by:
"*myPSNusername"
and then at the bottom:
"press the PS button to use the controller"
"O Back"

now when i press the PS button i get a white and red No Entry logo in the top right corner. pressing O reverts back to the blue screen of death.

Note:
No error codes are or have been given by the system - just the BSOD. Its a PS3 Slim bought end Sept 2009 - so no more warranty. no custom firmware had ever been on my PS3. Neither has there been any form of tweaking or hacking. system was running stock 3.55 FW 2 weeks or something ago when i watched inception bluray on it. could this be from lightning damage? i religiously plug everything out in remote anticipation of any thunder and lightning. the ethernet/wired connection had been acting up lately (almost like for 10 months or so, come to think of it)
goddammit :mad::crying: just bought 2 games this morning.
So mad now since the 2 xbox360s at home has been running without any RROD long before the PS3 even showed up.

Last edited:

Juggy

Executive Member
There is a method to recover from a USB stick, it's the same as when you upgrade the HDD. Copy the firmware to a subfolder on the stick called IMG or something like that then boot with the stick in the PS3.

zeridine

thanks man. I did put the PS3UPDAT file in the root of a flashdisk yesterday and that did nothing - so i will definitely try that folder tonight - just worried about updating to 3.56 - as that supposedly prevents slim consoles from upgrading the HDD in future.
(Just phoned partserve and it'll cost me R1500 excl VAT to exchange for a refurb - bleh)

Spartaniz

Expert Member
I think my PS3 departed to the afterlife this morning. When i switch it on i get the PS3 splash screen with the orchestra sound thingie, then immediately a blue screen of death with this in a load of languages:

"Setting information is corrupted. Press the X button to repair and restore default settings."
edit:
2410476035_2a69902183_o.jpg
(pic from SA PS3 support site)

after which the Yellow light flickers for a second or so and then the system just hangs with a black screen while it is still on. pressing on/off does nothing. controller does nothing. Should i then pull the power and restart, i get a yucky SD configuring menu > press PS on remote > HDMI setup > timezone > date and time > internet network settings - cant pick up anything wired with a normally working router present. should i press O to cancel network setup, i get a black screen with:

"Data for unregistered users was found on the hard disk and has been restored. Data has been restored for the users listed below."
followed by:
"*myPSNusername"
and then at the bottom:
"press the PS button to use the controller"
"O Back"

now when i press the PS button i get a white and red No Entry logo in the top right corner. pressing O reverts back to the blue screen of death.

Note:
No error codes are or have been given by the system - just the BSOD. Its a PS3 Slim bought end Sept 2009 - so no more warranty. no custom firmware had ever been on my PS3. Neither has there been any form of tweaking or hacking. system was running stock 3.55 FW 2 weeks or something ago when i watched inception bluray on it. could this be from lightning damage? i religiously plug everything out in remote anticipation of any thunder and lightning. the ethernet/wired connection had been acting up lately (almost like for 10 months or so, come to think of it)
goddammit :mad::crying: just bought 2 games this morning.
So mad now since the 2 xbox360s at home has been running without any RROD long before the PS3 even showed up.

You could try recovery mode?

For the recovery menu:

1. Turn off Playstation®3.
2. Hold the power button down; the system will turn on and turn off once again.
3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
5. You will be prompted to plug in your controller via USB and then hit the PS button
6. The Recovery menu will pop up.

Let it rebuild itself, can take a while. If this does not work, it can be the ps3's hdd, and since the firmware update that disabled the ability to swap hdds it will be a mission to replace it, but try and rebuild it using the method above.

zeridine

thanks for the help spartaniz and juggy. I've tried everything i could think of without luck. my PS3 is borked and i dont think it is just the HDD (everytime when it says its going to restart it just hangs, and also cant setup connection in anyway to the network). will have to look around in pretoria/centurion/midrand area for a repairs guy as i'm not taking a day off to drive to partserve in sandton to get a refurb for R1710.
anyone know of such a place?

Wasp_21

Expert Member
Pour coffee inside it and claim from insurance...you didn't see this here....