Puppy Linux: install on HDD

ponder

Honorary Master
When I have some time. No 32-bit deb files, so will have to build from source.
You can install it using snap, after installation it will be in /snap/bin

EDIT: Snap installs v8 and not latest v9

Last edited:

Crumbl0x

You can install it using snap, after installation it will be in /snap/bin

probably not the best idea in this scenario but I guess a good last resort, the overhead from snapd is so immense it would make using the browser a chore everytime it needs to spin up its block devices to launch on that netbook. Just wish Canonical would stop trying to reinvent the wheel so often and abandoning its endeavours in the end anyway, and flatpaks would be the better choice but they don't optimise for it as well as Red Hat does so we're back at square one.

ponder

Honorary Master
There's also otter browser based on the old opera many liked, it's not a big hog either.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otter-browser/release
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install otter-browser

ponder

Honorary Master
Just wish Canonical would stop trying to reinvent the wheel so often and abandoning its endeavours in the end anyway, and flatpaks would be the better choice but they don't optimise for it as well as Red Hat does so we're back at square one.
That's canonical for you, I don't have much of an affection for their distros.

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
There's also otter browser based on the old opera many liked, it's not a big hog either.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otter-browser/release
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install otter-browser
I see it's qt based. I've been trying to avoid qt, but something I installed yesterday was qt based, so I got a whole bunch of qt files with that.

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
I am really becoming quite fond of Lubuntu, especially on my netbook. It is pretty zippy.

I tried the minimal install, but that was very restrictive, and I could not get network-manager to work. I reinstalled using the Lubuntu desktop option, but that is broken and booted to a terminal (this is not the first 'buntu distro that this has happened to me. Looks like the Shuttleworth minions are trying to force you into Ubuntu proper). I fixed this by reinstalling the lubuntu-desktop from the command line and two hours later (!!) had it running in Lubuntu not a pseudo-ubuntu.

ponder

Honorary Master
I'm looking at antix at the moment and it runs better than lubuntu, based on debian so 32bit is not an issue, gonna upgrade to testing repos.

beans100

Honorary Master
What Netbook do you have? I have a 2009 Lenovo S10. Came out with XP. I'm also running Lubuntu on it at the moment.
I've tried everything during the last couple of years, but Lubuntu seems to be the best on this one. I upgraded my memory to 2GB, last year, so the browser seems a bit better.

Even had Windows 10 on it a few years back, wasn't running too bad, I must say. Don't know about the latest versions though.
I also had Cloudready on, Chromebook derivative. Was snappy and worked good.

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
I have a Samsung NC10, which I bought at the beginning of 2009 (I think). I upgraded the RAM to 2GB very early on. Almost from the start, I had been running Kubuntu, but as I said, that is now way too slow with all the bloated additions to the OS.

I find that I am using it more often again, as it's easier to edit files directly on my desktop via SMB, than using a tablet.

The only issue I have is that the A on the keyboard is getting a bit tired now. I am really happy with Lubuntu, even Firefox works better than expected, even with six tabs open.

riscbroker

Expert Member
A little OT - I also have an NC10 that I want to put a Linux distro on to run Home Assistant. Just need to check whether HA will run on Lubuntu vs Ubuntu...

BigAl-sa

Executive Member
A little OT - I also have an NC10 that I want to put a Linux distro on to run Home Assistant. Just need to check whether HA will run on Lubuntu vs Ubuntu...
I will check if I can install it.

Not going to work. Check this thread second last post:

You’re running 32 bit OS? That’s why nothing works.

Last edited:

riscbroker

Expert Member
I don't want to derail this thread, but is the 64 bit requirement for Docker, for Home Assistant, for hass.io or a combination thereof? The info I can find is very confusing.

gamer16

Honorary Master
It looks as though Lubuntu 18.04 is the last 32-bit release, so it looks as though old netbook is getting to its EoL. Maybe it is time to play with other distros, before they also get sidelined.

Can always run some obscure old lightweight distro that has the support for your hardware, then run whatever distro you want on top of it with without using hardware pass through.

ponder

Honorary Master