Question regarding HDMI and switches (long question)

DarKWateR

Expert Member
Here's the situation. I've been using my Samsung 2333SW Full HD LCD screen via DVI to my PC for the past month or so. The other day I connected a Xbox via HDMI-DVI cable to it and therefor had to use the VGA port for my PC and OMG does it look crappy. I guess since I've been using DVI the whole time that my eyes kinda got used to it. The VGA has this soft/fluffy/shimmery look to it and it's actually very annoying.

I've also been thinking of adding other HDMI devices to my monitor but since I only have 1 x DVI port the only way to do this would be via a HDMI switch. I've seen a couple of 3 and 4 port ones around and this would really help me solve the problem but there's a couple of questions I need to ask first.

As I understand, DVI/HDMI are digital connections therefore picture quality is theoretically not relevent since it's simply digital data being sent. You'll either have a picture or not. (This also explains the theory about no difference in quality between a R90 HDMI cable and a R1000 one). Even besides these things I have just mentioned I'm somehow still afraid that I'll have a dip in quality (probably due to experience with old RCA days) and so I'm here to get a second opinion. Also another question. HDMI supports 480p and up so when you connect your pc via HDMI to a PC LCD what happens when the PC starts up? Surely the bios and post has some extreme low resolution such as 320 x 240 or whatever. Will the screen be blank?

Also if you have any recommendations and links on switches that you'll suggest or have experience with I'll really appreciate it.