Questions about Satellite Internet

Proudly Karoo

I have attempted to get answers to these questions from ISPs without luck.
Perhaps someone here can help.
1)
Considering the high latency associated with satellite, would I be able to:
a) Make voice calls via WhatsApp?
b) Host webinars?
c) Conduct Skype on on one consultations?
d) Stream applications such as Netflix?
2)
Speeds of 20 Mbps are indicated.
What are realistic speeds?
3)
What is the typical downtime with satellite internet (due to weather, server maintenance and upgrades, etc).

The options for internet connectivity available here (Venterstad) are limited to cellular networks.
The best is Vodacom but I cannot get anything better than a very slow 3G HSDPA.
I get between 2.2 to 3.0 Mbps download speeds.
At the end of the month when more people have money to buy data, I am down to EDGE and/or no internet connectivity.

I am keen to sign up for a 20 Mbps uncapped satellite package but have a few questions before signing a pricey 2 year contract.

Thank you

JohnStarr

Executive Member
1)
b) Host webinars?
2)
3)
What is the typical downtime with satellite internet (due to weather, server maintenance and upgrades, etc).

The options for internet connectivity available here (Venterstad) are limited to cellular networks.
At the end of the month when more people have money to buy data, I am down to EDGE and/or no internet connectivity.

I am keen to sign up for a 20 Mbps uncapped satellite package but have a few questions before signing a pricey 2 year contract.

Thank you
1a. Should be able to make WhatsApp calls, but don't obviously host a telephone system on it. The latency will kill it.
1b. Maybe, depending on the latency and speed you get.
1c. Skype should be fine without video at the same time.
2. Not sure. Depends on latency.
3. Any adverse weather and you can expect some form of downtime. Fog will cause that too for instance.

Don't expect to game on it either. Streaming Netflix should be fine, but you can always set the quality it streams at too. Just do your homework on the provider.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
1)
b) Host webinars?
2)
3)

Thank you

What router are you using and what does vodacom's coverage map say?

with a B315 I was averaging 1 to 3 Mbps DL and it would keep dropping to 3g.

then I got a Balong 5000 (only does 4g/5g) now I get around 25Mbps and no more connection dropping or other issues.

Also with Vodacom.

Also obviously in rural...

netstrider

Expert Member
You should be able to stream Netflix fine. Will just be dormant for a bit at the start of an episode or movie (delayed start). Other real-time things such as voice may not be satisfactory in the sense that there's usually about 600ms latency on satellite.

You could pre-order Starlink which will get you closer to mobile latencies, but it's not available right away.

Pretty much all sat experiences I've heard have been negative.

You may be better off getting an external antenna for your LTE router in the meantime.