Quit questioning the ref!

Devill

Damned
I agree 100% with this article.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Columnists/GaryBoshoff/Quit-questioning-the-ref-20110913

A more frustrating Sunday morning I could not have imagined. What with the resurgent Welsh dragons upstaging the Springboks at what was supposed to be a triumphant opening of their Rugby World Cup campaign - I very nearly drowned in my morning tea!

A huge disappointment it turned out to be indeed.

A few weeks ago I warned against the Springboks becoming too complacent and in the process neglecting the “small stuff” (little, but important irritations that they needed to urgently address ahead of the 2011 RWC).

One of the things high on my list at the time was the nasty habit of players visibly complaining and showing dissatisfaction with the referee’s decisions and interpretations on the field of play: John Smit was the leading culprit in the Tri-Nations Test against the Wallabies in Durban.

On Saturday it started with Jannie du Plessis complaining constantly to the referee about apparent transgressions being committed by his immediate opponent and which the referee (according to Jannie) overlooked.

Well… after Jannie’s third such moaning session the referee penalised him (Jannie) at the next scrum! Three points!
I have said this before, stop questioning the ref! I have never seen the ref reverse a call because a player "asked" him to....

I feel that it is a problem in most scrumhalves (From Jooste to Fourie du Preez) and that this is one of the reasons why the SA backline doesn't get enough quick ball.

P

Picard

They should leave the cursing and complaining about the refs decisions to the spectators at home.

We do quite a good job of it.

Cicero

Expert Member
IMO the captain has the right to ask questions and point out things to the ref...no one else, and I think John Smit does an excellent job at that. If the other players have anything to say, tell the captain, and he can in turn tell the ref. But there's no excuse for continually bantering the ref, or getting in his face at any time.

SinghDude

Chief Sports Analyst
Northern hemisphere refs are pathetic...... not sure if they really understand some of the laws of the game

Tosser

Northern hemisphere refs are pathetic...... not sure if they really understand some of the laws of the game
Nee Boet, worst I've ever seen is Bryce Lawrence from NZ.

He sure knows how to screw up a game. Never seems to play advantage, 27 penalties in his last match....I now will check if he is the ref - if so, then I will rather watch something else.

Tosser

I agree 100% with this article.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Columnists/GaryBoshoff/Quit-questioning-the-ref-20110913

I have said this before, stop questioning the ref! I have never seen the ref reverse a call because a player "asked" him to....

I feel that it is a problem in most scrumhalves (From Jooste to Fourie du Preez) and that this is one of the reasons why the SA backline doesn't get enough quick ball.
Help me out here, but didn't Griquas 'suggest' to the ref that a kick for the posts had in fact gone over, although the touch judges said it hadn't? IIRC it was referred to the TMO, who judged it to have been over?
Was kinda odd as it wasn't Griquas kick, mighty sporting of them though.

Devill

Damned
Help me out here, but didn't Griquas 'suggest' to the ref that a kick for the posts had in fact gone over, although the touch judges said it hadn't? IIRC it was referred to the TMO, who judged it to have been over?
Was kinda odd as it wasn't Griquas kick, mighty sporting of them though.
That is fine but I am talking in general run of play. "Ref, Ref! He is offside!"....