Katelknaap
Expert Member
That fire was k@k close to Kanonberg late in the afternoon, I hope they managed to bring it under control.
South Africa’s biggest forum. Discuss, discover, and connect with thousands of members.
No properties were damaged AFAIK and apparently they are keeping two teams there to keep an eye on any flare-ups. Luckily the weather is also a bit better today.That fire was k@k close to Kanonberg late in the afternoon, I hope they managed to bring it under control.
36 beehives lost in Paarl by a fellow beekeeper yesterday.
Over R100k lost excluding the cost of the honey that still needed to come off.
Replacing the hives is easy but replacing 36 production colonies will take time and over a year before they are ready for pollination and honey production. View attachment 1652127
There is some insurance available from Santam but I'm not sure what exactly they cover. I know a few beekeepers that have some form of cover from them.Very sad
Question though, can a beekeeper insure against a loss like this (or any other kind of loss, e.g. flood, wind, 3rd-party, etc.)? Are there any insurance products available in case of such a loss?
Why does it only seem that its the beehive section, the bush behind looks perfect, did someone drop the smoke canister.36 beehives lost in Paarl by a fellow beekeeper yesterday.
Over R100k lost excluding the cost of the honey that still needed to come off.
Replacing the hives is easy but replacing 36 production colonies will take time and over a year before they are ready for pollination and honey production. View attachment 1652127
There's some trees to the right. This was in an orchard and arson is suspected. The fire spread through the orchard mostly along the undergrowth. It doesn't take much to get a beehive to go up in flames. It's filled with beeswax which is flammable, and in a wooden box that's also been dipped in wax.Why does it only seem that its the beehive section, the bush behind looks perfect, did someone drop the smoke canister.


Can confirm that I've seen cover for this on a few Santam policies. Normally the hives would be insured under the Fire section of a commercial policy. Doubt that they would insure the colonies/bees themselves but I could be wrong.There is some insurance available from Santam but I'm not sure what exactly they cover. I know a few beekeepers that have some form of cover from them.
I haven't looked at yet.
That is very sad, def looks like it was not natural. My thoughts go out to the family. it is sad and devastating.There's some trees to the right. This was in an orchard and arson is suspected. The fire spread through the orchard mostly along the undergrowth. It doesn't take much to get a beehive to go up in flames. It's filled with beeswax which is flammable, and in a wooden box that's also been dipped in wax.
Picture from the left
View attachment 1652329
and right
View attachment 1652333
Started by a burning Mercedes Benz.Fairly slack winds today, rather than a howling South Easter...
Edit: The Milnerton webcam gives a nice view: https://www.kapstadt.de/webcam.jpg
Hectic
I got really scared when I saw the picture posted.The fire was out more than two hours ago. Must have been a bit scary for those on top of the mountain...
I got really scared when I saw the picture posted.