RAIN bandwidth usage

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Hello All

Is it possible to see on your cpanel how much data have you consumed?

I have got RAIN direct from RAIN, and would like to keep tabs on my usage.

TIA

Ook

kabusi

Hello All

Is it possible to see on your cpanel how much data have you consumed?

I have got RAIN direct from RAIN, and would like to keep tabs on my usage.

TIA

Ook
If you have rain mobile, you can log into your account on their website and view your daily usage under the dashboard section. Choose the appropriate device to view.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Thanks, am still in the 7 day free data period.

But I have found the place to go to.

kabusi

Thanks, am still in the 7 day free data period.

But I have found the place to go to.
Great! The daily graphs might only start working next month though, unless they have fixed that issue.
You can still see how much data you have used under the Gigs used and under your account.
Your bill will be pro-rated this month and my suggestion is that after the 7 days are up, switch your router off between 6pm-11pm for the rest of the month.
This is so that you are not forced to spend R50 per Gb, especially if you have another data sim to use.
Then your bill will only be the R51 initial cost plus a daily pro rata rate and not the full R250 or whatever your spend limit is.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
I'm using a virtual Smoothwall (MS Hyper-V).

The idea is to get the host time synchronized with a time sync tool so that it's 100% in sync.

Then have a powershell script that will suspend the virtual smoothwall 5 mins before 6, and resume it 5 minutes after 11.

That way I know that I won't run into any nasty surprises.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
I'm using a virtual Smoothwall (MS Hyper-V).

The idea is to get the host time synchronized with a time sync tool so that it's 100% in sync.

Then have a powershell script that will suspend the virtual smoothwall 5 mins before 6, and resume it 5 minutes after 11.

That way I know that I won't run into any nasty surprises.
Or just set your spend limit in the portal and no need for all of this, easier.

kabusi

Or just set your spend limit in the portal and no need for all of this, easier.
Yes, thats the solution since not all Rain users are technical people.
The suggestion of switching off the router is only for the remainder of the first month and that if you do not want to spend more than a pro-rata fee.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Yes, thats the solution since not all Rain users are technical people.
The suggestion of switching off the router is only for the remainder of the first month and that if you do not want to spend more than a pr-rata fee.
So then set the spend limit, no need to ever turn anything off

kabusi

So then set the spend limit, no need to ever turn anything off
It didnt work for me when I ordered but only wanted the unlimited off-peak option.
I subscribed mid-month and my spend limit had to be set to at least R250 but on a pro- rata basis I did not owe R250 for the first month.
If I left the router on during 6-11pm I would be billed at R50 per Gb until my R250 spend was allocated.
By swiching the router off, I was only billed R180 for the first month.
Subsequent months the spend limit at R250 sorts itself out since it is a full months billing.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
It didnt work for me when I ordered but only wanted the unlimited off-peak option.
I subscribed mid-month and my spend limit had to be set to at least R250 but on a pro- rata basis I did not owe R250 for the first month.
If I left the router on during 6-11pm I would be billed at R50 per Gb until my R250 spend was allocated.
By swiching the router off, I was only billed R180 for the first month.
Subsequents months the spend limit at R250 sorts itself out since it is a full months billing.
Sounds like you set your spend limit incorrectly. I received mine in the middle of the month as well and my first bill was not even R150, never switched anything off either, it stopped working at 6pm and starts again at 11pm as it should.

kabusi

Sounds like you set your spend limit incorrectly. I received mine in the middle of the month as well and my first bill was not even R150, never switched anything off either, it stopped working at 6pm and starts again at 11pm as it should.
It would not let me set it to anything less than R250.
Trust me I tried setting it to the amount I calculated the bill should have been pro-rata but it refused to let me go lower than R250.
It might have been the way the website worked at the time I applied for this.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
It would not let me set it to anything less than R250.
Trust me I tried setting it to the amount I calculated the bill should have been pro-rata but it refused to let me go lower than R250.
It might have been the way the website worked at the time I applied for this.
Yeah must have been