RAIN Huawei 5G CPE Pro settings

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Please would you share ideal settings to get best out of this modem. Am a bit lost when it comes tho the 4G + 5G (preferred) option. Have been playing around with unit and currently due to tricky area I am in not getting much joy. Although current speeds a hell of a lot better than my soon to be extinct 10meg ADSL line.

My average over a 8 speed test sample 68 Mbps download 2Mbps upload. Dismal for 5G if you ask me. Going to trouble shoot with RAIN today but I have feeling I might be special case and need to go with outdoor option.

Reactions: Yuu

BradleyKZN

Expert Member
Please would you share ideal settings to get best out of this modem. Am a bit lost when it comes tho the 4G + 5G (preferred) option. Have been playing around with unit and currently due to tricky area I am in not getting much joy. Although current speeds a hell of a lot better than my soon to be extinct 10meg ADSL line.

My average over a 8 speed test sample 68 Mbps download 2Mbps upload. Dismal for 5G if you ask me. Going to trouble shoot with RAIN today but I have feeling I might be special case and need to go with outdoor option.
I cant remember any options to improve the connection or anything really. Where you are facing the router, are there a lot of walls/trees/buildings?

PAYBACK

Expert Member
I cant remember any options to improve the connection or anything really. Where you are facing the router, are there a lot of walls/trees/buildings?
Tis the problem I think. I'm on crest of a small hill with buildings to the north (suggested via optimizer) blocking direct view of tower which I'm assuming is on top of said hill which is not very far away actually.

BradleyKZN

Expert Member
For me, at work, optimiser was very wrong. If you go onto live chat, and ask them for the tower you need to point to, they give you a screenshot of your address where there are 2 towers on the map, one A, and one 5. When I pointed to the A, my speeds doubled instantly. If you haven't already, go onto live chat and ask them for that, and see what it says

PAYBACK

Expert Member
So moved my modem into the garden with extension lead. Not any better getting around 50 down/1.5 up. RSRP is better but no improvement in speed. Funny thing is I was getting 150/2 previously now that has disappeared.

PLMN 65573
5G RSRQ -10.0dB
5G RSRP -98dBm
5G SINR 7dB
5G NRULMCS NRmcsUpCarrier1:16
5G NRDLMCS NRmcsDownCarrier1Code0:1
NRmcsDownCarrier1Code1:0

cavedog

Honorary Master
So moved my modem into the garden with extension lead. Not any better getting around 50 down/1.5 up. RSRP is better but no improvement in speed. Funny thing is I was getting 150/2 previously now that has disappeared.

PLMN 65573
5G RSRQ -10.0dB
5G RSRP -98dBm
5G SINR 7dB
5G NRULMCS NRmcsUpCarrier1:16
5G NRDLMCS NRmcsDownCarrier1Code0:1
NRmcsDownCarrier1Code1:0
Maybe you should take a drive to the tower and test next to it to make sure it's not the tower that has an issue. The reason I'm saying that is because look at my stats basically same like yours but I get

Code:
PLMN65573
5G RSRQ-10.0dB
5G RSRP-97dBm
5G SINR7dB
5G NRULMCSNRmcsUpCarrier1:26
5G NRDLMCSNRmcsDownCarrier1Code0:1 NRmcsDownCarrier1Code1:0

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Maybe you should take a drive to the tower and test next to it to make sure it's not the tower that has an issue. The reason I'm saying that is because look at my stats basically same like yours but I get

Code:
PLMN65573
5G RSRQ-10.0dB
5G RSRP-97dBm
5G SINR7dB
5G NRULMCSNRmcsUpCarrier1:26
5G NRDLMCSNRmcsDownCarrier1Code0:1 NRmcsDownCarrier1Code1:0
Also noticed that. Quite frustrating. Modem in the middle of the garden sitting on a cooler box not ideal.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Also noticed that. Quite frustrating. Modem in the middle of the garden sitting on a cooler box not ideal.
Lol I would think so.

Anyways this is my testing cable I made when I take my router for a testing drive. Then I use my S10 which has WIFI6 for the best connection and speed.

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Pretty impressed with service so far. RAIN are sending technician tomorrow to see if they can sort it out. Will keep everyone posted. Better work I've canceled my ADSL line. Not that I had choice in matter. Fingers crossed.

BradleyKZN

Expert Member
Pretty impressed with service so far. RAIN are sending technician tomorrow to see if they can sort it out. Will keep everyone posted. Better work I've canceled my ADSL line. Not that I had choice in matter. Fingers crossed.
Don't forget to let us know how it goes. Holding thumbs for you.

Napalm

Expert Member
how did it go ?

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Plan was for guy to be here at 15:00. Got text saying guy was at gate at 17:52 but I was on the way home and missed the text. Wife who was waiting for them couldn’t hear anyone.

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Ok so guys were there yesterday. They installed (box description) CPE N5368 outdoor unit connected to a Q2 base station. It was bucketing outside so install was a little rushed and I will need to finish it off. Initial reading via WiFi was around 328/13. That was in torrential downpour at 17:42. Happy days. When this weather lets up will do some more readings.

I am a little concerned however of how future proof this setup is considering the Q2 only has max output of 1200Mbps. As far as I know the CPE PRO that has output of 6000Mbps, theoretical 5G limit. Maybe someone more clued up can comment.

Service from RAIN has been excellent. Could not be happier. Guy (Sibusiso) was in pouring rain on the roof bolting annetae down. Wife felt so bad she gave him on of my shirts. He was soaked.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Ok so guys were there yesterday. They installed (box description) CPE N5368 outdoor unit connected to a Q2 base station. It was bucketing outside so install was a little rushed and I will need to finish it off. Initial reading via WiFi was around 328/13. That was in torrential downpour at 17:42. Happy days. When this weather lets up will do some more readings.

I am a little concerned however of how future proof this setup is considering the Q2 only has max output of 1200Mbps. As far as I know the CPE PRO that has output of 6000Mbps, theoretical 5G limit. Maybe someone more clued up can comment.

Service from RAIN has been excellent. Could not be happier. Guy (Sibusiso) was in pouring rain on the roof bolting annetae down. Wife felt so bad she gave him on of my shirts. He was soaked.
Very nice! Out door unit is so much better.

I don't think you should be worried about it. Right now even the 5G CPE Pro with wifi 6 is capped at 1.2Gbps and 1Gbps ethernet ports. By the time this speeds are "slow" new faster routers will be out.