Range Extender

Defib

Expert Member
Greetings MyBB

Has anyone successfully used a Mikrotik hAP AC2 as a range extender?

As we all know how poor the d-link DSL-G2562DG signal is and how bulky it is, I would like to use the Mikrotik to extend.

I have tried looking for YouTube tuts but yea, they don't work so well.

Any idea

Segg

Expert Member
Honestly the only extender I've seen which does a decent job is the Netgear Orbi - its just very expensive

daneza

A Mikrotik device can work well as a range extender, depending on what you're expecting from it.

It won't work in terms of being a wireless repeater - in that you connect it to your 2.4GHz wifi network and it gives out a 2.4GHz network as well.

It can work by using the 5GHz radio as a client (losing it for use by your devices) to connect to your main router, and having the 2.4GHz radio available as access point for your devices. Or vice versa, use 2.4GHz as client, have 5GHz available as access point for devices. The 5GHz channel is more susceptible to interference, though, so can only handle about one wall in the way.

The best would be to run a LAN cable from your main router to the hAP. Then you can have both 2.4GHz and 5GHz in the other part of your house, with the guarantee of it being stable.

Also it can't have the same wifi name as your main router.

Defib

Expert Member
A Mikrotik device can work well as a range extender, depending on what you're expecting from it.

It won't work in terms of being a wireless repeater - in that you connect it to your 2.4GHz wifi network and it gives out a 2.4GHz network as well.

It can work by using the 5GHz radio as a client (losing it for use by your devices) to connect to your main router, and having the 2.4GHz radio available as access point for your devices. Or vice versa, use 2.4GHz as client, have 5GHz available as access point for devices. The 5GHz channel is more susceptible to interference, though, so can only handle about one wall in the way.

The best would be to run a LAN cable from your main router to the hAP. Then you can have both 2.4GHz and 5GHz in the other part of your house, with the guarantee of it being stable.

Also it can't have the same wifi name as your main router.

LOL as i suspected, a mission.

HartsockZA

Range extenders just don't work, I've had better results setting up two of the same AP's in my network on the same channel with backbone connections to each AP. where you can't get a cat5 cable to or don't want the hassle of having more cables I got my self an EoP Kit for R700 and they work 100%

roskii

Range extenders just don't work, I've had better results setting up two of the same AP's in my network on the same channel with backbone connections to each AP. where you can't get a cat5 cable to or don't want the hassle of having more cables I got my self an EoP Kit for R700 and they work 100%

Vox just replaced my ancient MicroTik router with a hAP AC2. Problem now is that the hAP 5GHz doesn't reach all the way down the passageway where I have a TP Link range extender. Half the house now has no wifi.

Any suggestions on how I could boost the signal?

In terms of my setup, the hAP is on one end of the house in the study, while there is a passageway of about 6m down to where the kitchen / lounge are. For the lounge I use a TP Link powerline unit to connect the TV / PS / AppleTV etc. Maybe I run another AP out of the powerline?

HartsockZA

Vox just replaced my ancient MicroTik router with a hAP AC2. Problem now is that the hAP 5GHz doesn't reach all the way down the passageway where I have a TP Link range extender. Half the house now has no wifi.

Any suggestions on how I could boost the signal?

In terms of my setup, the hAP is on one end of the house in the study, while there is a passageway of about 6m down to where the kitchen / lounge are. For the lounge I use a TP Link powerline unit to connect the TV / PS / AppleTV etc. Maybe I run another AP out of the powerline?
I mean if you want to rather go that way yea sure, another AP down the way connected to the already connected powerline should be fine. A colleague has one of those Mikrotik cAP AC dual Band AC ceiling units and that worked pretty well for the 1st floor at least. Not really into the whole indoor wireless Mikrotik has to offer, I reckon they work well if your setup is near perfect.

I hear good things about those Tenda Mesh units, sadly not in a house big enough for that anymore or you could go to Unifi also heard a lot of good things about that. But honestly, your setup sounds just like my old one, 1 AP connected the one half of the house the 2nd ap got connected via powerline connection and yea worked like a charm. The only cool thing about those mesh units is the ability to move around on the wireless network and the AP's would force reconnect you to the closest best-connected station.

So Yea run a sec AP down there, keep it to the same name and channel width of the 1st AP as well as pass and you should be goochy

roskii

I mean if you want to rather go that way yea sure, another AP down the way connected to the already connected powerline should be fine. A colleague has one of those Mikrotik cAP AC dual Band AC ceiling units and that worked pretty well for the 1st floor at least. Not really into the whole indoor wireless Mikrotik has to offer, I reckon they work well if your setup is near perfect.

I hear good things about those Tenda Mesh units, sadly not in a house big enough for that anymore or you could go to Unifi also heard a lot of good things about that. But honestly, your setup sounds just like my old one, 1 AP connected the one half of the house the 2nd ap got connected via powerline connection and yea worked like a charm. The only cool thing about those mesh units is the ability to move around on the wireless network and the AP's would force reconnect you to the closest best-connected station.

So Yea run a sec AP down there, keep it to the same name and channel width of the 1st AP as well as pass and you should be goochy

Awesome thanks!

Only concern with go via a mesh solution, is introducing another brand into the mix? (MicroTik + TP-Link + Unifa/Tenda) From what I've read on the MicroTik forums, that's a big no-no (I'm far from an expert though lol).

For me I am not concerned if I lose some performance on my 50mb via wifi, its more about finding the most future-proof setup.

R500 difference between the two...

ebendl

Expert Member
I would honestly get rid of all of your range extenders and then go out and buy a mesh network setup.

Something like this: TP-LINK DECO E4 - AC1200 Whole-Home WIFI Sysytem 2 Pack | Buy Online in South Africa | takealot.com

I've set it up at 2 houses now (family members) - one house a 3 pack (replacing a D-link telkom router & two range extenders), one house a 4 pack (replacing a telkom router and a power-line wifi extender). In both instances it has solved all their Wifi issues and I haven't had a single question since. This includes deadspots, stability issues, "slow internet", too many devices on the Wifi and cases where it sometimes works and sometimes do not.

AFAIK they have also not restarted the APs since - something that frequently happened in the past.

I've also recommended those to another 3 people who are also quite happy.

I don't know if Vox allows you to use any router -- if so, then use the TP-link instead of the Mikrotik.
If not, then you can possibly ask them to disable the built-in Wifi of the Mikrotik and then set up the Mikrotik to only act as a router and the TP-links to act as APs.

roskii

@ebendl great suggestion thank you! I assume the 2x deco units will be able to cover the area in question... (260m3 as advertised, but that must most likely be free of obstructions such as walls)

I am sure Vox will configure the Mikrotik to allow for it. The tech today specifically said they use Mikrotik purely due to the flexibility / visibility it gives them.

greg0205

Honorary Master
@ebendl great suggestion thank you! I assume the 2x deco units will be able to cover the area in question... (260m3 as advertised, but that must most likely be free of obstructions such as walls)

I am sure Vox will configure the Mikrotik to allow for it. The tech today specifically said they use Mikrotik purely due to the flexibility / visibility it gives them.
Vox won't need to do a thing.

Download the TP link Deco app, connect a unit to your Mikrotik, follow the instructions on the app and you're good to go.

One thing 'tho... The E4's have 100mb ports. If you running, or plan to run, a faster internet connection, spend a little extra on the M4s. They have a gigabit port.

Last edited:

maxxis

The range on that Microtik is pathetic to begin with.

Replaced mine with a Mercusys and 90% of the house is covered. Deco M5 covers the rest

Vox allows other routers and self config.

ebendl

Expert Member
Vox won't need to do a thing.

Download the TP link Deco app, connect a unit to your Mikrotik, follow the instructions on the app and you're good to go.

One thing 'tho... The E4's have 100mb ports. If you running, or plan to run, a faster internet connection, spend a little extra on the M4s. They have a gigabit port.
Is the OP able to disable the Mikrotik's wifi?

No need to have two wifi networks running.

I would start off with two and if it doesn't quite work, consider getting a third.

Personally I guess I would probably try and get the gigabit port M4s, but the family I've recommended it to (and some colleagues, working for a software dev place) were quite happy with the E4's and their 100 Mbps ports. Most of them are on less than 100 Mbps Openserve Fibre.

ebendl

Expert Member
I can also say that I found the TP-Link app quite refreshingly simple to set up an Internet connection and Wifi network with. I was sceptical not having access to the good ol' tried-and-tested web interface, but in both cases where I set up the Wifi the app worked fine.

Power users might find it a bit lacking though.

greg0205

Honorary Master
Is the OP able to disable the Mikrotik's wifi?

No need to have two wifi networks running.

I would start off with two and if it doesn't quite work, consider getting a third.

Personally I guess I would probably try and get the gigabit port M4s, but the family I've recommended it to (and some colleagues, working for a software dev place) were quite happy with the E4's and their 100 Mbps ports. Most of them are on less than 100 Mbps Openserve Fibre.
You can turn the Mikrotik's wifi off, but that might have to be done by Vox if the OP hasn't requested admin access on the router.