Raspberry Pi 3 Model A+ launched - Specifications and pricing

Vis1/0N

Expert Member
The foundation is full of BS though. The $5 Pi Zero and $10 Pi Zero W are not easily available - 1 per customer - limited quantities are apparently produced because these other lines get priority.

In the list ahead of the 3A+ is any of 2GB RAM, true GbE, SATA port, a modern SOC. Yes the 3A+ is filling in a niche gap but I would rather see more of the Pi Zero W readily available at the $10 pricepoint.

evilskaap

Expert Member
The foundation is full of BS though. The $5 Pi Zero and $10 Pi Zero W are not easily available - 1 per customer - limited quantities are apparently produced because these other lines get priority.

In the list ahead of the 3A+ is any of 2GB RAM, true GbE, SATA port, a modern SOC. Yes the 3A+ is filling in a niche gap but I would rather see more of the Pi Zero W readily available at the $10 pricepoint.
The limits have been removed, read here:
While the Zero 1.3 and the Zero W have limits set to 1 per order, the Zero WH has no limits. Finally you can buy as many as you need to complete that project.
https://www.pishop.co.za/store/boards_0/raspberry-pi-zero-wireless-wh-pre-soldered-header

Totempole

Expert Member
512MB Ram was enough for the Pi 1 and perhaps even the Pi 2, but I foresee some major downsides to such a small amount of RAM on the Pi 3.

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
512MB Ram was enough for the Pi 1 and perhaps even the Pi 2, but I foresee some major downsides to such a small amount of RAM on the Pi 3.
Pi 2 has 1GB RAM.

This is also a "lite" version of the 3. The 3B amd 3B+ both have 1GB.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#Specifications

The reason people keep buying the Rpi is because of the ongoing software support. There are *many* boards out there that are faster, but they almost never get OS updates.

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
I'm aware, but is 512MB Ram really enough for a Pi 3 variant?
I get what youre saying, its not a lot. Theres probably a cost/marketing reason in there somewhere. Cant have it cheaper, and basically the same specs as the 3B+, as it would cannibalize its sales.

Also, people buying this will most likely be using it for some form of power efficient microcontroller or arduino replacement, so they wont need a lot of RAM.

Tovad

Last edited:

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
Agreed. I would have preferred 1GB or even 2GB. IT's nice a cute and I generally don't use 4 USB ports on a Pi so this would be a nice little board to have. But the RAM is too little for my licking.

P924

Expert Member
Agreed. I would have preferred 1GB or even 2GB. IT's nice a cute and I generally don't use 4 USB ports on a Pi so this would be a nice little board to have. But the RAM is too little for my licking.
You really should not be licking it.