RCT 2000VA - Troubleshooting

krycor

Honorary Master
Bought mine in 2013/4 so it’s lasted quite a while till last year when it no longer stayed up when power pulled I suspect lightening hit? But not sure.. nevertheless power was mostly stable so never worried and moved to a new place too.

With the return of load shedding I thought time to try and resurrect it.. but it it doesn’t even light up presently (well that’s new). So now I’m not even sure what’s wrong or where to begin.. opened it up to check fuses but only see battery fuses which are fine.. anyone know what else could be preventing it starting up? Was hoping to use software to determine what’s wrong.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Lead-acid batteries come with a one year warranty, and don't like to be discharged, so they're almost certainly dead by now. Take them out and test them with a charger and voltmeter if you aren't sure.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Oneof ours at work went down two weeks back lights on, not able to store charge. Two years old, got my techie to check, needed two new batteries, as good as new...

krycor

Honorary Master
Kewl will order new batteries.

Also getting a new little one(850) for just router etc

krycor

Honorary Master
Had the same one, same problem. Replace the batteries and you are good to go.

Oh BTW you need a long screwdriver to open it.
Yah none of my screw drivers which fit the screw head was long enough. so I have a hex driver and heads + extender and was still short..

So I made a plan haha..

I have another narrower hex head with a long neck I use with drill and used a thin metal which I lined in the extender such that it didn’t slip. So I was able to unscrew it.

Unrelated: Must say my security screw heads (used a few times now) is awesome. From torq to those weird two dot heads.

No multimeter so will just replace and report back.

Fcon_Vpro

Expert Member
Will that stop the panel from lighting up?
It shouldnt stop the UPS from powering on.
Usually a UPS should still turn on but then alert that the batteries have failed.

EDIT: Thats in my limited experience but with different brands.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Yah none of my screw drivers which fit the screw head was long enough. so I have a hex driver and heads + extender and was still short..

So I made a plan haha..

I have another narrower hex head with a long neck I use with drill and used a thin metal which I lined in the extender such that it didn’t slip. So I was able to unscrew it.

Unrelated: Must say my security screw heads (used a few times now) is awesome. From torq to those weird two dot heads.

No multimeter so will just replace and report back.
Cool. Good luck. The UPS is good quality, but alas batteries don't last long.

krycor

Honorary Master
Cool. Good luck. The UPS is good quality, but alas batteries don't last long.
yea I think getting 5yrs out of it was decent.. and if replacing batteries sorts it then I'd be happy. I am worried that it didnt light up as before.. but i guess with the batteries now being fully discharged it has 'disabled' the panel? not sure.

I checked the cables in side and i did spot some wear on some leads that likely touched the transformer but didnt break thru the insulation. I noticed that there is some darkening though so gonna check this weekend if i can see anything blown before i order batteries end of month.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
yea I think getting 5yrs out of it was decent.. and if replacing batteries sorts it then I'd be happy. I am worried that it didnt light up as before.. but i guess with the batteries now being fully discharged it has 'disabled' the panel? not sure.

I checked the cables in side and i did spot some wear on some leads that likely touched the transformer but didnt break thru the insulation. I noticed that there is some darkening though so gonna check this weekend if i can see anything blown before i order batteries end of month.
Replaced my 1500va UPSs dead batteries with 2 x 9ah batteries, making them 2000va. I assume your one has 2 x 9ah batteries (same siza as 7ah). Bought them at Communica in Midrand for like R350 each.

krycor

Honorary Master
Replaced my 1500va UPSs dead batteries with 2 x 9ah batteries, making them 2000va. I assume your one has 2 x 9ah batteries (same siza as 7ah). Bought them at Communica in Midrand for like R350 each.
cool.. yea its 9ah batteries.