Reasonable price for Wordpress implimentation?

Mars

Honorary Master
Ok so I know this is a "how long is a piece of string" question but hear me out.

I need a simple website made up basically with contact details and a gallery where I can put photo's of my work. I have a host and a domain.

I have had quotes from R400 up to R10k.
Now I can, and have in the past, implement a free theme and mess around with plugins and crap for a day or two until its almost, but not quite, what I want and call it a day, but I'm too busy and honestly I'd rather have someone else do it.

So I'm thinking, someone with a bit of know how should be able to impliment some free theme in a couple of hours. So I post some online adds and those are the numbers I get.

R400 is too cheap. Or is it? If its an hours work for someone that may be reasonable. R10k is insane.
The bulk of bids I have gotten range between R1k and R3k.

R3k still seems a little steep to me, that's 10 hours of work at R300 an hour and since its probably 10 hours of work for me with beginner knowledge I'm not going to pay someone who charges R300 an hour for 10 hours.

So I'm thinking of choosing someone in the R1500 range (R300 an hour for 5 hours kinda thing) but what if it is really only an hours work for someone who knows what theyre doing? I doubt it but its in my head.
What is the hourly rate for word-press implementation? Is R300 a reasonable amount? Expensive?

scudsucker

Executive Member
Now I can, and have in the past, implement a free theme and mess around with plugins and crap for a day or two until its almost, but not quite, what I want and call it a day, but I'm too busy and honestly I'd rather have someone else do it.
I think you have your own answer there.

What is your time worth? What are you willing to pay someone else to to do the job that you could do?

Mars

Honorary Master
I think you have your own answer there.

What is your time worth? What are you willing to pay someone else to to do the job that you could do?
Well, my times value depends entirely on the current state of my bank balance lol. When things are going well I have done entire jobs below even material cost, never mind labor.

My question is more of a " am I going to get what I need from these prices or am I paying too much/little"
Like I said, I'm happy to go about R1500 (at R3k I'd rather bang it out myself) but is that reasonable? I have never used these online freelance websites before.

zoozi

Expert Member
R300? As in two 0's? For a website? Jasas I pity the fool that will put up a website for you and install plugins, register domains etc for R300. Don't expect anything remotely decent.

Mars

Honorary Master
R300? As in two 0's? For a website? Jasas I pity the fool that will put up a website for you and install plugins, register domains etc for R300. Don't expect anything remotely decent.
Well. Like I said. I have a domain and hosting, and other than a gallery and a contact page there is not much to it. But yes, my rule of thumb is always discard the most expensive and the cheapest quote right out and then consider whats left.

quovadis

Executive Member
Well. Like I said. I have a domain and hosting, and other than a gallery and a contact page there is not much to it. But yes, my rule of thumb is always discard the most expensive and the cheapest quote right out and then consider whats left.
You're probably a better candidate for something like Squarespace or Wix.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
I will do it for R1500 if you are clear on what you want, i.e you have either an idea of what free theme you want already or can describe the look in fairly good detail (colour scheme, general layout etc - note you will still just get a modified free theme) as well as tell me what pages you want and provide their content, i.e an about us, a services page, a contact page etc.

R300 is far from reasonable, even at R1500 its a good deal for someones time with reasonable know how

kfc4unme

He meant R300 per hour, not R300 in total.

Adenoid Hynkel

Expert Member
I know someone that uses a team of WordPress gurus from Malaysia. They usually setup your basic 5 pager in under an hour using elementor templates fully customised with either stock images or provided images. Client obviously provides the content and a basic layout and colors they want.

He pays them around 100$ per site. He in turn charges in excess of 10k. He probably turns around 7-10 sites a month.

jezzad

Expert Member
I reckon a reaonable price is around 3k

No wireframes or design will mean a lot more room for interpretation and back and forth. Use something like elementor.

Mars

Honorary Master
Ok, so R3k is more the price I should expect for a decent site.

I'll try and scrape that together.

jezzad

Expert Member

Yeah thats my gut feel, sure someones uncles cousins sister will know someone who can do it cheaper.

quovadis

Executive Member

Why not just go the Squarespace or Wix route as suggested? It's all you need but without having a third party to intervene to do anything?

Jitters

I have experience.... its taken me 3 days to change a damn picture.. pay up or f****ck off

Skankhunt

Expert Member
I have experience.... its taken me 3 days to change a damn picture.. pay up or f****ck off

Agree.

Wordpress is dodgy.
Debugging someone elses themes + child themes can be a nightmare, especially if that developer and whoever touched it before you did stuff anti-pattern which is all too common in the WordPress ecosystem. End up fighting with stupid donkeycrap for hours, that otherwise would've been easy to deal with.

My only remaining WP clients are my legacy ones from when I just got into the business. They are just for maintaining and I kinda know their sites/themes/plugins/etc inside out by now. And their hourly rates makes it worthwhile ;)

Not say WordPress is bad. I just think there's far better / easier maintainable / more flexible CMS's out there if you are starting a new content based project.

But anyway, regarding OP's website, with a R3000 budget, you'd probably get more value just DIYing it.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Agree.

Wordpress is dodgy.
Debugging someone elses themes + child themes can be a nightmare, especially if that developer and whoever touched it before you did stuff anti-pattern which is all too common in the WordPress ecosystem. End up fighting with stupid donkeycrap for hours, that otherwise would've been easy to deal with.

My only remaining WP clients are my legacy ones from when I just got into the business. They are just for maintaining and I kinda know their sites/themes/plugins/etc inside out by now. And their hourly rates makes it worthwhile ;)

Not say WordPress is bad. I just think there's far better / easier maintainable / more flexible CMS's out there if you are starting a new content based project.

But anyway, regarding OP's website, with a R3000 budget, you'd probably get more value just DIYing it.
Kind of disagree with there being better, can argue similar in terms of functionality.

WordPress is nice as clients know it and it's pretty easy to find good plug-ins, the question is more often how bad some themes and plug-ins are and how many "developers" are in that field churning out cheap trash.

Used to build some custom sites using WP as the CMS, theme and stuff were all custom though, But it allowed easy and quick content addition and could take advantage of things like woo commerce that is pretty standardized so lots of payment features we could just charge for the plug in and quickly implement and the client was happy.