Recommendations for a VDSL router

Ryansr

Expert Member
Best advice from me would be to get one with the latest Wi-Fi 6 standard (802.11 ax). The cheap TP-Link Archer AX10 AX1500 Wi-Fi 6 Fiber Router should be more or less what you need.

SuhailHurbans

Best advice from me would be to get one with the latest Wi-Fi 6 standard (802.11 ax). The cheap TP-Link Archer AX10 AX1500 Wi-Fi 6 Fiber Router should be more or less what you need.
Thanks, is this it?

And is it 100% a VDSL router? I'm new to all of this

RANGA555

Oh no, I just purchased it. So Is something extra required?
I dont know enough to say yes or no. But from my understanding there is nowhere to plug your vdsl line into that router.

I was also about to purchase it but stopped self to do more research

mr_norris

Expert Member
Oh no, I just purchased it. So Is something extra required?
Yes, that TP link is just a router. It does nothing but router and WIFI stuff. You can't plug in a telephone cable for ADSL / VDSL, it just doesn't work. You can either pair it with a separate modem (I don't know if you can actually buy those at a reasonable price), or just request a refund and buy something like this.

My suggestion is a pretty "budget" router. But it'll do the job. In the end you'll have wifi, some ports to plug in Ethernet cables, and you'll be able to use it with your VDSL line.

RANGA555

Yes, that TP link is just a router. It does nothing but router and WIFI stuff. You can't plug in a telephone cable for ADSL / VDSL, it just doesn't work. You can either pair it with a separate modem (I don't know if you can actually buy those at a reasonable price), or just request a refund and buy something like this.

My suggestion is a pretty "budget" router. But it'll do the job. In the end you'll have wifi, some ports to plug in Ethernet cables, and you'll be able to use it with your VDSL line.
Or this?

Apogee

That is a great suggestion on the Wi-Fi router side, but chances are ultra-slim that you will get a VDSL modem/router with Wi-Fi 6 onboard.

As far as the manufacturers are concerned, xDSL is outdated technology, which nobody (in the developed world, which is their #1 target market) is using anymore.

Update: Found one, but doesn't look like it is available in SA:

https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/WiFi-6/All-series/DSL-AX82U/

Last edited:

xodosman123

Expert Member
Get the normal one from a Telkom shop, best advice if you have a 10mbs line get the mode changed to vdsl it can be done, to my understanding, there should be new vdsl ports in most if not all exchanges. Just some people at Openseve still do not understand how the system works, it will increase the upload speed, depending on the distance from the exchange. there are factors that actually make a difference on the line attenuation snr etc...what are you using now?

deweyzeph

Executive Member
As far as the manufacturers are concerned, xDSL is outdated technology, which nobody (in the developed world, which is their #1 target market) is using anymore.

That's not correct. DSL is still used by millions of households in the USA and Europe. It's not going away anytime soon.

Carlo Koekemoer

This fits into your budget, and is compatible with VDSL and fibre. It also has Gigabit ports, which will enable you to go >100Mb/s on fibre.

https://www.pcexpress.co.za/tp-link-archer-vr400

View attachment 1007552

https://www.tp-link.com/za/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/archer-vr
That is a great suggestion on the Wi-Fi router side, but chances are ultra-slim that you will get a VDSL modem/router with Wi-Fi 6 onboard.

https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/WiFi-6/All-series/DSL-AX82U/

https://www.asus.com/Networking-IoT-Servers/WiFi-6/All-series/DSL-AX82U/I

Carlo Koekemoer

And that Asus one with Wi-Fi 6 has rgb seems everyone these days think rgb makes everything better so guess that one will be faster lol never mind that in end your house will look like a damn disco

• Haha
Reactions: Yuu