Recording Coversations

cappy

hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a cheapish cell phone that will record conversations?

Roger.Wilco

hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a cheapish cell phone that will record conversations?

Not sure of any that can do it out of the box, but there's apps for most of them... iPhone, Blackberry, Symbian etc.

Lounger

Expert Member
The old Sony Ericsson's could do it natively. It made a beep every few seconds to alert everyone. The Nokia's (Symbian 3) had software available, but also beeped.

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
Well just about every phone I've owned has that feature. Don't know which one it is but I got a cheap Samsung (R350) that can do it, my B2100 (R900) can do, my E65 could do it, ...

Redsbaron

1. Without the beep,

2. and by default, in other words, without saying... hang on, going into the menu, or pressing the shortcut on the homescreen?

murraybiscuit

Executive Member

Brandon

Last year I tried an app on my Nokia that did this automatically. Recorded all calls without prompting or beeping. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of it (think it was "mr recorder"). Had to uninstall it as the recordings were huge.

Here's a Link to the ovi store. All the free versions have some kind of restriction though.

ismailra

You can use Total Recall on the Nokia S60 phones to record calls. It has a setting to try and stop the beeping but it is better to use HelloOx to hack the phone and Rompatcher to stop the beeping. You will need to see if there is a rompatcher rmp file for the specific phone that will stop the beeping.

Lounger

Expert Member
You can use Total Recall on the Nokia S60 phones to record calls. It has a setting to try and stop the beeping but it is better to use HelloOx to hack the phone and Rompatcher to stop the beeping. You will need to see if there is a rompatcher rmp file for the specific phone that will stop the beeping.
It doesn't stop it, it just muffles the sound which affects the quality.

4kix

Nokia E71 can do it out the box. No special apps and no beeps.

Raiders

1. Without the beep,

2. and by default, in other words, without saying... hang on, going into the menu, or pressing the shortcut on the homescreen?

I use Audio notes for Windows Mobiles.
It auto records all phone calls without beeping. The only drawback is that the phone must be on speaker to record both sides. Atleast you have one side recorded when using the phone normally.
Also, it allows you to record meeting and normal conversation. Just don't try and answer the phone when a call comes in. The mic is muted then.

Ive seen other phone recording software before. Normally there is a limit they can record. Something like 10 min. Audio notes has no limits, except space on the phone. And recordings are very small MP3 files.

Raiders

Remember, at least one party to the call must know the conversation is recorded. As its your phone, you know of the recording but when borrowing your phone to someone that does not know, it becomes illegal.

Lounger

Expert Member
Remember, at least one party to the call must know the conversation is recorded. As its your phone, you know of the recording but when borrowing your phone to someone that does not know, it becomes illegal.
Are you sure? AFAIK it isn't legal without both party's consent - full stop.

Raiders

It's a law I read up on about 3 years ago when I was on an IT security conference. Was asked this same question by a work colleague. I went searching for the law back then. Will have to jump into my mail archives to find the numbers and stuff.
Its a law around telecommunications and stuff. Its the same law how the police can record a conversation like on TV when someone was abducted without needing a court order.

TJ99

Honorary Master
There are plenty of apps that do that on the Android market. You could always look at a replacement phone app that includes a recording function.

The "phone" app is just like the other programs,it can be replaced if you want. That's if you've got a droid...

DigitalSoldier

Honorary Master
AFAIK you are correct. I remember a company in SA installed cameras to monitor theft by employees, and the company couldn't legally use the footage as employees did not know they were under surveillance.

Also know about a case in KZN where a criminal walked because his conversations were recorded without him being made aware of this.

This is the reason why when you phone some companies you are told the conversation is being recorded.

Sent from my HTC Desire using MyBroadband Android App

bubbatentoe

You can record a phone conversation without telling the other party if you like. (for your own use)
But you cannot use the actual recording in court. (as evidence or proof of anything).
a "self made" recording is only admissible in a South African court if the other party was aware of it.

The only time an uninformed telephone conversation recording is admissible in court (in SA) is when it was a legal "tap" pre-authorized with a court order.

If you don't tell someone you're recording them (and they find out you're using it against them) then you're actually guilty of "entrapment" and they can sue you.
If you stopped a serious crime (with your recording) or helped catch a criminal then obviously things are different.

Be careful!!!
Get "real" legal advice first.