Red rings of doom.

MartinMorrison

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2005
Messages
813
Reaction score
5
Location
Durban
Well yeah, got my Xbox 11 months and 2 weeks ago, warranty ends in 1 week! Problem is, I lent my fully working Xbox to a retard friend of mine, had only had the ring of doom once before which I fixed by just restarting my Xbox a few times. But when I got my Xbox back from my friend, it had the rings of doom. He said he had been fixing them by wrapping a towel around in and overheating it...idiot. He blames Eskom.

I got so desperate that I did the same towel method and it worked for a bit, but it going back to the rings every few days and since my warranty from Musica ends in one week, I'd like to know how I can swap it? I guess I need proof of purchase..sad thing is I bought it with cash and I've turned my house upside down looking for that piece of paper.

Any other options? Keep using towel or another way to exchange for a new one? Would really like to play GTA 4.
 
Thanks, I know about the 3 year thing, but if I send it to the USA, It would take along time to get back. Would do that as a last resort..there must be some way to fix this/trade it locally.

The problem here is that I phoned Musica after reading the normal process and pretended that I'd gotten a ref number from microsoft etc etc. They said they knew little about the reference number and just needed the slip and they would exchange it...

Should have bought it from another place like BT games :(
 
Er... why would you want to send your box to the USA? The distributors are in Bedforview.
 
Thanks, I know about the 3 year thing, but if I send it to the USA, It would take along time to get back. Would do that as a last resort..there must be some way to fix this/trade it locally.

The problem here is that I phoned Musica after reading the normal process and pretended that I'd gotten a ref number from microsoft etc etc. They said they knew little about the reference number and just needed the slip and they would exchange it...

Should have bought it from another place like BT games :(

Should've just kept your slip. Fortunately they accept credit card slips as well. However, cash, well, no matter who you bought it from you would have done yourself an injustice.
 
Martin, don't stress. If it's a South African unit you shouldn't have a problem. Worst case scenario, if you can't find the slip, you'll have to ship it directly to MI Digital which is in Joburg, so you'll just have to cover the courier cost, if you phone and ask nicely they may even be able to make a plan for you.
 
Martin, don't stress. If it's a South African unit you shouldn't have a problem. Worst case scenario, if you can't find the slip, you'll have to ship it directly to MI Digital which is in Joburg, so you'll just have to cover the courier cost, if you phone and ask nicely they may even be able to make a plan for you.

They'll even swap your UK or AUS units.
 
Cool. Could I have the number for them please? Do they just replace it as long as it's broken? No fees? No ref number?
 
Cool. Could I have the number for them please? Do they just replace it as long as it's broken? No fees? No ref number?

No fees, but you will have to pay shipping from Durban. You will need to get a reference number from Microsoft, as well - but that is just a phone call away. Find out from MID/JNC whether you need proof of purchase.

Have a look here:

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=107126

And here for contact details:

http://www.xbox-360.co.za/forum/xbo...mi-digital-carol-leannes-contact-details.html
 
Last edited:
Well yeah, got my Xbox 11 months and 2 weeks ago, warranty ends in 1 week! Problem is, I lent my fully working Xbox to a retard friend of mine, had only had the ring of doom once before which I fixed by just restarting my Xbox a few times. But when I got my Xbox back from my friend, it had the rings of doom. He said he had been fixing them by wrapping a towel around in and overheating it...idiot. He blames Eskom.

I got so desperate that I did the same towel method and it worked for a bit, but it going back to the rings every few days and since my warranty from Musica ends in one week, I'd like to know how I can swap it? I guess I need proof of purchase..sad thing is I bought it with cash and I've turned my house upside down looking for that piece of paper.

Any other options? Keep using towel or another way to exchange for a new one? Would really like to play GTA 4.

my xbox died with no red rings or anything. just phone microsoft support and get a reference number. dont worry you will not have to send your machine anywhere and you should be able to swap it out for a new one.
 
No fees, but you will have to pay shipping from Durban. You will need to get a reference number from Microsoft, as well - but that is just a phone call away. Find out from them whether you need proof of purchase.

Have a look here:

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=107126

And here for contact details:

http://www.xbox-360.co.za/forum/xbo...mi-digital-carol-leannes-contact-details.html


Cool and thanks. I will phone for a ref number on Monday since they are closed on weekends.
 
Argh. I did the blanket trick and it started working again. Going to have to break it again to be able to get a swap!

Guitar hero time.
 
Cool and thanks. I will phone for a ref number on Monday since they are closed on weekends.

Sorry, that should have been find out from MID/JNC whether you need proof of purchase. Don't bother asking Microsoft anything, they're full of call centre personnel that must be reading off cue cards. They'll ask the problem, have you tried this, etc, etc. Just go through the routine and then ask for a reference number when you're absolutely sure you've done everything possible - which you probably have, but just indulge them. And insist on a reference number. I had some stupid French woman who couldn't understand English trying to help me - she couldn't understand why I wanted a reference number.
 
I think the whole point of using MID is that you don't need proof of purchase because they distribute all xbox's in SA and can just check the serial number or something? Yeah I'll just get ref fast from Microsoft.
 
*smiles* .... I find myself constantly amazed at the help that a person can get on these here forums. :D
 
Well I went to Musica after going to Incredible Connection. The guy at Incredible said it's no problem if you don't have the slip as long as you have the serial number they can scan it and print you another slip. But at Musica the guy said ''All xboxs have the same serial number". I'm sure that's wrong. I told him when I bought it and he said he would check the database, but why can't they just scan my serial number and get a new slip..he basically refused to do that.

The Musica guy said they also 'do not deal with Microsoft". So I'm not gonna bother getting a ref number but just wait till the regional manger is at Musica on Tuesday and hopefully they will find my record so I can do a swap!
 
The guy's a moron, they have to deal with Mi-Digital to get the things replaced..

Seriously get your ref number otherwise you have aproblem
 
Last edited:
Well he scanned my serial number and it just showed it was made in 2006 or something, but didn't prove I bought it at Musica. So his manager is coming in on Tues and they will check the records for a 2999 xbox and 3 games and then i'll possibly get a swap. Grr
 
Lol. All have the same serial number. BWAHAHA. Where do they find these guys? Ijots-R-US?

Honestly, how are you gonna track all Xboxes if they have the same SN.
 
Last edited:
Exactly. I started laughing out really loudly when he said that. That's plain retarded!
 
Last edited:
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X