Redmi Note 8

friedpiggy

So I will be looking to upgrade around December and see that the Note 8 from Xiaomi will be out around this month. Specs on that thing look insane for the price. What I am wanting to find out is anyone that has used a Xiaomi before, what are your thoughts? Decent phone or junk? I know about the adverts, but there is a tutorial on how to disable them so that doesn't bother me. Moving from a much loved Huawei Mate 7 Ascend. (Man I love this phone, but its dying on me now)

BradleyKZN

So I will be looking to upgrade around December and see that the Note 8 from Xiaomi will be out around this month. Specs on that thing look insane for the price. What I am wanting to find out is anyone that has used a Xiaomi before, what are your thoughts? Decent phone or junk? I know about the adverts, but there is a tutorial on how to disable them so that doesn't bother me. Moving from a much loved Huawei Mate 7 Ascend. (Man I love this phone, but its dying on me now)
I have had 3 Xiaomi's now. They have all been absolutely amazing, battery life especially. I just got my note 7 last week, and with playing tons of games and browsing today its still on 50%, and that's since 4:30am

Also, I have never even seen ads on any of my Xiaomi's

friedpiggy

Apparently the Mi Music and other Mi apps have ads in them that pop up in the notifications thing

beans100

Honorary Master
Not junk, at all. Me personally started with the redmi Note 2, then the note 3 and now I have the Mi Max 2 for 2 years now. My wife has her Mi Max 1 for almost 3 years now and don't want to upgrade. My daughter had my note 2 and last year upgraded to the Mi A2 lite. So quite a few Xiaomi phones in my house and also planning to get more. Want to buy a new Xiaomi phone, but I'm struggling to find fault with the Mi Max 2.
Also have a few other Xiaomi products in my house : Roidmi 3S, Mi Router 3, Mi Box 3 and S, Mi band 2, Amazfit Pace. Good products, over all.

BradleyKZN

Apparently the Mi Music and other Mi apps have ads in them that pop up in the notifications thing
Oh, I don't seem to have ads there either?
I see you are upgrading from a phone that's similar to my old one. The difference in performance is worlds apart!

friedpiggy

Many thanks for the replies. Was looking at the Note 7 128GB version (man that camera looks sick) But then discovered that the note 8 will be launching September 2019 so may as well get the newest one when it comes out. December needs to hurry up now.

Will say this Huawei has served me flipping well. had it for 4 years+ now and it's still good, but has issues at times hence the upgrade. Also, the fact that it is still on Android 4.4.4 and cannot go higher (my version cant go up to 6 as some can) is a major reason for the upgrade.

On that note how have you all found the support for new version of android as they come out? I ask because droid 10 should be out soonish.

beans100

Honorary Master
Many thanks for the replies. Was looking at the Note 7 128GB version (man that camera looks sick) But then discovered that the note 8 will be launching September 2019 so may as well get the newest one when it comes out. December needs to hurry up now.

Will say this Huawei has served me flipping well. had it for 4 years+ now and it's still good, but has issues at times hence the upgrade. Also, the fact that it is still on Android 4.4.4 and cannot go higher (my version cant go up to 6 as some can) is a major reason for the upgrade.

On that note how have you all found the support for new version of android as they come out? I ask because droid 10 should be out soonish.
For the most, you'll get at least 2 Android versions. And MIUI releases quite frequently, Android security patches for the first two years. There after you might still get, but less frequent.
If you want to be sure of upgrades for a longer time, the Mi Android One's (Mi A2, A2 lite, A3) might get it longer

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Just a note: Redmi recently became it's own brand so it's technically incorrect to refer to it as Xiaomi.

Example it is a brand just like your Samsung, Huawei, etc

Tovad

mmm maybe it is more correct to state that Redmi is a sub-brand owned by Xiaomi and that use the Xiaomi MUI interface.

Zuner

Expert Member
I'm torn between the note 8 pro and the MI 9.
I want to order from gearbest and they are the same price right now.

Edelweiss

Redmi note 5 plus here.. Pretty solid phone and great bang for your buck. Wish they sold the Xiaomi TV's in S.A...

Totempole

Expert Member
I've got a regular Redmi 7, 16gb. Amazing phone for the price, I just wish I'd gone for the 32 or 64gb model at least.

Setting the memory card as internal storage doesn't actually work on these phones.

My only other qualm is the fact that you can't set custom notification sounds for each app.

Third party apps also don't work for custom notification tones on these phones.

For the price, they're pretty much unmatched in terms of value. They're also Google certified which is awesome for a Chinese phone.