Reduce your power demand, help Eskom: Cape Chamber

akescpt

Honorary Master
where the hell must I still cut? how about those fat cats get off their fat arses and start earning their huge salaries. foo cheque.

fluffy54

Eskom is the only business I know of that spends a chunk of it's profit trying to sell LESS of it's product. The best part is that as they reduce demand they reduce their income and then have to put the price up. If they just built new stations then the price could stay the same and they just meet the demand.

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
Subsidise solar power (make it cheap for normal pleps) and we'll all will stop using eskdom...

Paul_S

Expert Member
The best part is that as they reduce demand they reduce their income and then have to put the price up.
+1000
Using less electricty will actually put Eskom in further financial trouble and their only way to recover is to keep increasing the tariffs.
With the direction Eskom is currently heading, solar PV will be viable pretty soon for the average consumer.

Last edited:

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Eskom is the only business I know of that spends a chunk of it's profit trying to sell LESS of it's product. The best part is that as they reduce demand they reduce their income and then have to put the price up. If they just built new stations then the price could stay the same and they just meet the demand.
It's a never ending cycle

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Subsidise solar power (make it cheap for normal pleps) and we'll all will stop using eskdom...
My thoughts exactly..

Make a grid tied Solar system affordable with a reasonable pay off period of say 3 years.. and I'll be there like a bear...

I can then add batteries and such to take the system completely off grid.

funkzar

+1000Using less electricty will actually put Eskom in further financial trouble and their only way to recover is to keep increasing the tariffs.
With the direction Eskom is currently heading, solar PV will be viable pretty soon for the average consumer.
Yes and No. With the ailing Infrastructure, Eskom only delivers so much to the end user after generation. I'm sucking an educated thumb, but only 55% power reaches us now. A new power station from the offset loses 1.5% power when it reaches the end user. We pay for their losses PERIOD.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
The only problem is between 5 and 9pm. Give us time-based tariffs. Make it R5/kWh between 5 and 9pm and then 50c between 9pm and 5am. Then all of us can save money and run our geysers, dishwashers and heaters off peak. Eskom then don't need to produce an extra 4000MW for 4 hours a day. There is enough power at other times to meet all our needs already.

Also, make gas cheaper than electricity. Currently, the gas price is regulated to be more expensive than electricity. Switch home users to gas hobs/ovens/geysers/heaters and again, less load at peak times.

The solutions are simple, but the people deciding are too scared to lose power with unpopular decisions.

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
The only problem is between 5 and 9pm. Give us time-based tariffs. Make it R5/kWh between 5 and 9pm and then 50c between 9pm and 5am. Then all of us can save money and run our geysers, dishwashers and heaters off peak. Eskom then don't need to produce an extra 4000MW for 4 hours a day. There is enough power at other times to meet all our needs already.

Also, make gas cheaper than electricity. Currently, the gas price is regulated to be more expensive than electricity. Switch home users to gas hobs/ovens/geysers/heaters and again, less load at peak times.

The solutions are simple, but the people deciding are too scared to lose power with unpopular decisions.
fck.. I wouldn't trust them with R5 /kwh... way too much money. 5-9pm most people will sit in the dark because it too expensive.

But I do agree.. make gas cheap, give us solar power cheap, and I would gladly get off eksdom...

Pitbull

Verboten
I REFUSE!!!

I will use as much as I want and I will pay for it. They need to make a plan to keep SA powered. We all keep saving and they just get bigger cheques. FK THEM! Put on all the lights, let the 2 geysers stay on all day and run the swimming pool pump twice a day. ( )O( )

daveza

Honorary Master
At the price of electricity do they seriously think we are wasting it ?

ponder

Honorary Master

MrR

Expert Member
There's a demand, so why the hell can they not supply it?!

They are either fantastic at reverse psychology - go away, we don't want your business - or really deluded...

Executive Member
There's a demand, so why the hell can they not supply it?!

They are either fantastic at reverse psychology - go away, we don't want your business - or really deluded...
Because it takes planning and skilled people to keep up the demand. They have been lacking on both for a while now.