Repairing a PS3 struck my lightning

charlie_82

Expert Member
Oh ok, sorry about that. I don't have account either but more often than not, I can view the solutions:
Seeing as how you have a replacement, you can risk trying to solder a new port on...

Arabia_vn:
1)Yes you can fix that, soldering by yourself or get someone do that for you, here is what you need (http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/hdmi-solder-connector.html)

2)Optical output is only for audio --> true. We can not get video signal from it
J4YD33:
Hi there,

Aww man that sucks... if the metal pins have come away from inside the socket... you'd need to replace the socket... but I think that maybe a long short cut to your solution... I am confident taking things apart and doing soldering work... but I wouldn't advise you perform this repair yourself. Is you PS3 still under warranty?

If it is I'd just get it replaced...

J

Also what region are you in? UK, US etc?? If you let me know I could look out the warranty info for you

Here it is from the US site...
http://us.playstation.com/support/warranties/ps3/

or a repair site that could fix it for you...
http://www.repairs-direct.com/games...tation3.aspx?gclid=CJnzxZTwxKACFdGX2Aod5yCMgA

hope this helps!!
cyris123:
i have to agree with the first comment a soldering iron is the way to go dont be worried about it ive opened and repaired hundreds of ps3's with either the same or worse problems the ps3 can take a fair bit of stick i reckon i could drop it three stories kick it up a flight of stairs and still fix it, just get a soldering iron on it and reconnect the socket to the pins if you can't do that then get a solder sucker and remove any solder and the pins from the board then buy a faulty motherboard on ebay for like £20 remove the hdmi connector off that and place it on your board, or you have two other alternatives the first is part with about £40-£50 and get a replacement motherboard on ebay, or two send it to sony and if your warranty has expired be prepared to pay a fortune and not have a definite fix my friend sent his twice to sony both times they gave him a new one and both times they died after about a week i thought it might be something he did but we set it up and he didnt touch it for the whole week apart from to turn it off and on and it still died but thats all i can advise good luck.

superskully

Expert Member
How did lightning strike the PS3 (lan cable??, power supply).
Did u have normal insurance or one that covers lightning (cos i am in a place that has the most lightning (vaal) and i have quite a bot of expensive equipment).

charlie_82

Expert Member
How did lightning strike the PS3 (lan cable??, power supply).
Did u have normal insurance or one that covers lightning (cos i am in a place that has the most lightning (vaal) and i have quite a bot of expensive equipment).
It seems to be quite common. Most people just have lightning strike close to their house and shorts out the HDMI port.
Not very good news for the PS3