Retirement or resignation (teacher)

Corelli

Retirement

With retirement you get better tax benefits compared to resignation. Also you can get other benefits from your company.

So other than less tax, you can also claim UIF for a period if you retire. Usually a few months. An extra R4500 bucks a month for going in for an hour after an initial application never hurt anyone.

Its a no brainer. Only resign if youre not eligible for retirement, or wait till they retrench and then you can get a package.

Corelli

If you are a teacher. Take a retirement in South Africa and then move abroad. Canada, Australia, New Zealand all need teachers.

I would avoid China as too many scammers, but I believe Vietnam is pretty popular too, and the rental for new york style apartments are cheap there.

diapason

So other than less tax, you can also claim UIF for a period if you retire. Usually a few months. An extra R4500 bucks a month for going in for an hour after an initial application never hurt anyone.
The retirement UIF applies only from age 60 upwards, presumably because that's the same age for the Old Age grant. I've heard that those under 60 who apply don't get it. Applications can be done online - no need to go into their offices.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
If you are a teacher. Take a retirement in South Africa and then move abroad. Canada, Australia, New Zealand all need teachers.

I would avoid China as too many scammers, but I believe Vietnam is pretty popular too, and the rental for new york style apartments are cheap there.
Unless you are planning on teaching in the middle of nowhere in Aus I wouldn't recommend this.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
In many of the main centres teachers are struggling to get jobs because schools are required to keep the post open for teachers that get pregnant for up to 7 years. Most teachers are only getting yearly contract positions. Also came across many teachers that haven't been able to land a position for many years. Many teachers will need to do subbing for a while to build up a record before they will even be considered for a position. This can be hit and miss as I spoke to one teacher that couldn't even get subbing positions because of the suburb she lived in. Conversely because of where my GF and I are renting my GF practically had the schools bashing down her door every day just to get her to come in (good neighbourhood, lots of good schools close by).

Job applications are very convoluted with each application taking a couple of hours worth of work to apply for (if you can get through 2 applications in a full working day you are winning), obviously with no guarantee of landing the job.

In schools that are far out there are obviously a lack of teachers and so easier to land a job there, but many people don't want to be 5+ hours away from a main centre.

Not trying to scare anyone but I think it's important to be aware of the reality of the situation. Teachers are said to be in high demand in Aus but that's a bit of a blanket statement for the entire continent and not for bigger cities (bar the new suburbs popping up, however those jobs are snatched up pretty quickly too).