Retrenchments at IS

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member
Retrenchments at IS

Numerous employees at Internet Solutions are facing retrenchment as a round of staff cuts is planned at the company.

MyBroadband has received information that several hundred employees have received notifications that their positions are at risk.

“The restructure aims to deliver improved client experience, through more efficient and competitive operations,” said Missaikos at the time.

:D

Internet Solutions have been on a downward spiral for years now.Have been slowly migrating all my services away from them.

Internet Solutions have been on a downward spiral for years now.Have been slowly migrating all my services away from them.

Fully agree. For the last ~4 years we have had nothing but problems with IS and have been trying to move away from them, but we have way too many glass cookies in their jar, so it has been hard. Guess this round of retrenchments means we will be going onto account manager #10 in the last 4 years.

Fully agree. For the last ~4 years we have had nothing but problems with IS and have been trying to move away from them, but we have way too many glass cookies in their jar, so it has been hard. Guess this round of retrenchments means we will be going onto account manager #10 in the last 4 years.
****. I thought we only had this problem of account manager #25 in 5 years at Telkom. We see them once and never again.

Horrible for those affected. But the strategy of focusing on software-defined services is right, in my view.

Update – Statement from IS

Internet Solutions has provided the following statement on the matter.

As one of South Africa’s leading Internet service providers, it is Internet Solutions’ responsibility to continue to innovate our core connectivity, cloud and complementary business enabling services, in a way the market wants to consume them.

In years past, we introduced a decentralised, segmented business model. While we achieved some successes with this approach, we created process and service delivery complexity. Therefore, Internet Solutions is simplifying its business model to increase responsiveness with offerings that enable self-service, enhanced visibility and flexibility.

Realising this vision requires a comprehensive assessment and redesign of our infrastructure, processes, technologies and skills. In the past two years, we’ve sold non-core infrastructure assets, implemented more automation, partnered with leading vendors, and refocused our technology and people investments to accelerate the delivery of software-defined services.

Our next step involves a thorough review of the required skills mix to drive the next phase of evolution. On 17 July 2018, we announced to staff that the business is entering into a formal consultation process in a move to be more agile and responsive. However, worth noting is that the process is in its infancy and no final impacted numbers can be confirmed at this point.

Evolving our business is challenging, but we aim to navigate this process in a way which is best for our employees, partners and our business.

IS statement makes sense to me. Sounds very reasonable and carefully considered. Businesses in this space must evolve to survive and thrive.

IS statement makes sense to me. Sounds very reasonable and carefully considered. Businesses in this space must evolve to survive and thrive.

All businesses spin their statements to this effect. Not saying it isn't true...

Shame the poor souls losing their jobs though despite the reasons

Ever since Saki took the helm it's been a downward spiral for that place. When I started there in the early 2000s it had this awesome culture and vibe, around 2010 or so it just start to go downhill.

… And like all strategies and plans, everything depends on execution...

I hate it when corporates just shove people around. People have lives, you know.

And others are not responsible for your life. I't's not nice but at the same time employment is not some charitable thing, it's a contract between parties where one supplies a service to a another and they reward you for your services in return as agreed upon.

Our next step involves a thorough review of the required skills mix to drive the next phase of evolution. On 17 July 2018, we announced to staff that the business is entering into a formal consultation process in a move to be more agile and responsive. However, worth noting is that the process is in its infancy and no final impacted numbers can be confirmed at this point.

Their intentions have been made clear in advance so start looking at other avenues right away, don't wait until the axe falls.

I wonder if they going to retrench from the top, starting with the most useless... I mean can they look at the captain of the ship that's been heading towards that iceberg and he turns it more towards there?

Any further new here ? Seems some vicious cuts have been made .......

Back