Roaming rates for Filipinos

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Joined
Jan 17, 2005
Messages
52,146
Reaction score
8,341
Location
127.0.0.1
My brother in law works in telecoms in the Philippines for a company called Globe Telecoms. So last night we were discussing roaming rates (as they are here in South Africa for a visit) and I noticed him using his data. I asked him if he wanted to use my internet connection because that surely should be costing him a lot. He explained to me that in the past it used to, but too many people got hit with roaming charges and were basically made bankrupt by them. So they actually listened to their clients and changed their model. Instead of raping their clients like our providers do they have a daily limit of 599 pesos (R1=3.5 pesos).

Once you used your data you got charged the 599 pesos, you could then use as much data as you want and this amount does not increase above 599 pesos. The data rate was still high, but way more reasonable than what Vodacom, MTN and Cell C are doing to us.

So, if a country like the Philippines can offer a reasonable international roaming rate why cant our mobile providers? I kinda feel that this deal to screw us over on international roaming rates is a corrupt deal and one that our mobile operators are intentionally doing to screw over their clients to milk them for every possible cent they can. I really hope one day this gets investigated and those that played a part in keeping these rates high (and in the process destroying lives) get held accountable
 
My brother in law works in telecoms in the Philippines for a company called Globe Telecoms. So last night we were discussing roaming rates (as they are here in South Africa for a visit) and I noticed him using his data. I asked him if he wanted to use my internet connection because that surely should be costing him a lot. He explained to me that in the past it used to, but too many people got hit with roaming charges and were basically made bankrupt by them. So they actually listened to their clients and changed their model. Instead of raping their clients like our providers do they have a daily limit of 599 pesos (R1=3.5 pesos).

Once you used your data you got charged the 599 pesos, you could then use as much data as you want and this amount does not increase above 599 pesos. The data rate was still high, but way more reasonable than what Vodacom, MTN and Cell C are doing to us.

So, if a country like the Philippines can offer a reasonable international roaming rate why cant our mobile providers? I kinda feel that this deal to screw us over on international roaming rates is a corrupt deal and one that our mobile operators are intentionally doing to screw over their clients to milk them for every possible cent they can. I really hope one day this gets investigated and those that played a part in keeping these rates high (and in the process destroying lives) get held accountable

Wait. So for unlimited roaming data he pays R171.00 and nothing more for his entire stay in SA per month? Is he sure he has got his facts right?
 
Wait. So for unlimited roaming data he pays R171.00 and nothing more for his entire stay in SA per month? Is he sure he has got his facts right?

Seems that is per day.
 
So, if a country like the Philippines can offer a reasonable international roaming rate why cant our mobile providers?

I heard (and I'm totally making this up) that the extravagance of the year end parties at our mobile service providers is directly proportional to the amount of money in the OOB/roaming kitty.
 
Last edited:
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X