Rooting a Tablet, Legal?

Dilan65

Hi All,

I'm getting started with Android development. It is a real schlep to plug in my tab into my laptop each time I want to debug. I know you can debug over WiFi AFTER you have plugged in the USB, but yeah. Due to my lack of fine motor skills - I damage quite a few cables...

Point is - is it illegal to root a tab in SA for development purposes ONLY? I will not be installing cracked APK's or using it to install hacking apps.
Currently there is no SIM in, but I might want to put one in, in the future - how would rooting affect that? The tab is not under warranty.

Thanks

Nobody Important

Executive Member
I don't see why not. People root and jailbreak their stuff all the time. You will just void your warranty.

newby_investor

Expert Member
You can go ahead. It's quite common.

The only issue you may run into is that some apps from Play Store will refuse to install / run on a rooted device, like the banking ones for example.

Daruk

Honorary Master
It's not a legal issue, but be aware that you could open yourself up to nasties if you install untrusted software that way.

Tander

Executive Member
It's not a legal issue, but be aware that you could open yourself up to nasties if you install untrusted software that way.
Meh, you open yourself up to nasty just by downloading from the Play store. ;)

To OP - Just do it. It isn't illegal.

Christo4

No "nasties" when you are careful. I never use Play Store. Geo-block so let OP experiment.
Thanks Android.

RuhanSA079

Illegal? Pfff... Naw, I rooted my first Android device from day one. Was running Honeycomb. Jumped to KitKat. Go ahead, OP. Have fun

PsyWulf

Executive Member
Not much enforcement on electronic laws in general here,and nothing against reverse engineering or modifying code at runtime