Rumour: Apple to drop Google maps in iOS6 for C3, Placebase, Poly9 tech

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Citing “trusted sources,” 9to5Mac reports that Apple is using its purchases of Placebase, C3 Technologies, and Poly9 to create a “complete mapping database.” In addition to better performance, the new feature will also sport a 3D mode. 3D won’t be standard, but users can click on a button to enable it. “This 3D mode is said to essentially be technology straight from C3 Technologies: beautiful, realisitic graphics based on de-classified missile target algorithms,” according to the report. The move comes after Apple ditched Google Maps in its latest version of iPhoto for iPad in early March. Apple could not be reached for comment. A foe of Google on many fronts, Apple has been working on improving its mapping software since it bought Placeware in 2009. The next year, Apple acquired Poly9, a provider of 3D mapping solutions. In 2011, Apple bought C3, which also provides 3D mapping technology and absorbed the principals of the company. The video below shows C3′s technology in action. The activity represents a focus for Apple on another improvement to its mobile experience. Similarly, when Apple wanted to add voice-recognition functionality to iOS, it bought Siri in 2010 and later incorporated it into iOS 5.
http://mashable.com/2012/05/11/apple-to-drop-google-maps/

http://9to5mac.com/2012/05/11/ios-6...debuts-in-house-maps-with-incredible-3d-mode/

Last edited:

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
Rumour: Apple to drop Google maps in iOS6 for C3 tech

Apple likes buying other peoples stuff and making it their own.

bwana

MyBroadband
Makes sense. Having to rely on a third party, esp google, must irk them something fierce.

Guantanamo

Expert Member
Especially since Google is Android and Jobs wanted to go nuclear on Android. I suspect if they do maps they will do it properly with turn by turn and voice (Siri) included. The C3 tech using the old missile algorithms looks insanely cool.

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Especially since Google is Android and Jobs wanted to go nuclear on Android. I suspect if they do maps they will do it properly with turn by turn and voice (Siri) included. The C3 tech using the old missile algorithms looks insanely cool.
One can only hope; their very rough Siri launch and limited iTunes Match availability is nothing to go by sadly.

Question:
How many Apple vehicles have you seen or heard of driving around taking photos? Without this how could what they deliver even cover half of what Google maps does today? or is it only going to be very crappy in South Africa :(

Last edited:

snoopdoggydog

Expert Member
maybe as a result of Google having hacked safari apple are now cutting whatever ties they still have with them

[)roi(]

Executive Member
maybe as a result of Google having hacked safari apple are now cutting whatever ties they still have with them
I think it's not that simple; basically it IMO stems from when Google chose to compete directly with Apple, causing the severing of all previous close business ties.

For Apple; Google is now their main competitor and hence it's foolish to have a fundamental part of your solution reliant on whether Google will still "gracefully" allow them to use it.

Another key driver of Apple's urgency to replace It, is when Google made use by corporate / businesses payable related not only to a license but also linked to traffic I.e. where previously it was free, it is now costing Apple quite a bit of money each quarter for usage by its iOS customers; money that would be better spent on their own product.

Last edited:

Guantanamo

Expert Member
[)roi(];8224369 said:
One can only hope; their very rough Siri launch and limited iTunes Match availability is nothing to go by sadly.

Question:
How many Apple vehicles have you seen or heard of driving around taking photos? Without this how could what they deliver even cover half of what Google maps does today? or is it only going to be very crappy in South Africa :(
Siri works great in the US, and is still a beta. iTunes Match is another story and I don't see it being very popular anyway.

Also the technology they have acquired suggests that it might even be better than what Google has. One company has already built up a huge number of map tiles, the other two specialized in 3D mapping like you see in Google Earth. Their technology uses information(algorithms) from the US Government which is then rendered into 3D cities. Assuming it covers everywhere the iPhone is sold it should allow a pretty seamless transition and possibly an even better experience. Follow the links in the first post if you don't believe me.

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Siri works great in the US, and is still a beta. iTunes Match is another story and I don't see it being very popular anyway.

Also the technology they have acquired suggests that it might even be better than what Google has. One company has already built up a huge number of map tiles, the other two specialized in 3D mapping like you see in Google Earth. Their technology uses information(algorithms) from the US Government which is then rendered into 3D cities. Assuming it covers everywhere the iPhone is sold it should allow a pretty seamless transition and possibly an even better experience. Follow the links in the first post if you don't believe me.
I started the thread, maybe you missed that :p So yes I am more than informed.

My opinion / concern is based on a South Africa perspective; consider how long it took for SA to appear on street maps; frankly we would never have seen those if it wasn't for the world cup, so hence I'm asking ito a SA view, that if we do not see Apple's vehicles / planes, etc. then how from a SA perspective will Apple's new tech be better than what we have today with Google Maps? I.e. street views

Sure Siri btw is beta (did you really think I didn't know that), but still today doesn't support South African English or locality based searches outside of the US... It's not as if Siri only launched yesterday... Hence my concern.