SA maths benchmarking - dismal results

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
The education minister slammed the previous news story about the state of maths in our schools as untrue and nothing but foreign perception - I wonder what will be said about these results?

Daruk

Honorary Master
I'm thankful for ad-maths. Both my kids are doing it and it's helped them tremendously. My daughter is at Wits for the hols and the stuff they're being given is pretty much what she's already learning in grade 10.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
[video=youtube;46Iojp5HueI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Iojp5HueI&feature=kp[/video]

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
I'm thankful for ad-maths. Both my kids are doing it and it's helped them tremendously.
Didn't they scrap it? Or was that gov schools only?

Add Math is useful to keep the kids that coast through normal math on their toes. It does create weird "inequalities" though...e.g. due to my schools unique setup they recombined people from *all* the math groups later (Standard grade, HG, Add math). Was a complete bloodbath....Add math crowd building paper planes and SG people not able to keep up in the new "averaged" class.

zamicro

Expert Member
TIA... This math results are a prime example of what we have become.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Didn't they scrap it? Or was that gov schools only?

Add Math is useful to keep the kids that coast through normal math on their toes. It does create weird "inequalities" though...e.g. due to my schools unique setup they recombined people from *all* the math groups later (Standard grade, HG, Add math). Was a complete bloodbath....Add math crowd building paper planes and SG people not able to keep up in the new "averaged" class.
Admaths is extra and optional
http://www.admaths.co.za/
Certainly still running. Ja, normal class maths is very basic for the admaths kids. Uni maths tougher for most kids who've not done more than regular classroom maths.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
Don't really see the problem here, for most of these rural schools the only algebraic function you need to know these days is: "divide by black"

TJ99

Honorary Master
Damn Verwoerd at it again. Y U make math so hard, Hendrik?

garp

Executive Member
On top of this, we've created an expectation that "you can be anything you want, if you believe in yourself" without outlining the required slog and mental application to get there. End result: a generation of youngsters who either end up bitterly disappointed because it turns out you can't be an accountant if you can't do basic maths, or who actually somehow get in to a profession and wreak havoc because they don't have the basic skills.