SA Politics Thread Part 10 : The GNU Has Crashed

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is something I had to get used to here in England; when no one asks for payslip and almost no one asks you what your current salary is. When I landed my new role - what I was on and my payslip was not relevant to them and thus I was not asked it. I was just asked what my expected salary range is.

This **** needs to stop in SA; I always felt it is a way for employers to pay as little as possible -- keeping salaries low.
 
This is something I had to get used to here in England; when no one asks for payslip and almost no one asks you what your current salary is. When I landed my new role - what I was on and my payslip was not relevant to them and thus I was not asked it. I was just asked what my expected salary range is.

This **** needs to stop in SA; I always felt it is a way for employers to pay as little as possible -- keeping salaries low.
It's 100% a way to keep salaries down. I went through this process recently and was very up front about by expectation and it didn't cause any issues... Come offer time I was offered 15% over my payslip value and they were a bit taken aback when I declined the offer cos it was way lower than my expectation.
 
It's 100% a way to keep salaries down. I went through this process recently and was very up front about by expectation and it didn't cause any issues... Come offer time I was offered 15% over my payslip value and they were a bit taken aback when I declined the offer cos it was way lower than my expectation.
It works both ways though. If your ask is over their budget they'll just say sorry no.
 
250612dm-scaled-e1749758127162.jpg
 
The loony mob here on MyBB was already soiling their pants with joy. 🤣

Phumzile is unphased. And why didn't he submit himself for a DNA test loony mob? 🤔


Because he never was a formal suspect. Police never considered him a suspect enough to actually go through the procedure. Yet that didn't stop the mob from piling on.


Van Damme doesn't have the right to demand someone submit themselves for a DNA test to prove their innocence.
 
I don't think it is good. Even though the intentions are ok, I think it will do more harm than good by the government getting involved in hiring (which happens to be one of the most difficult things a company can do).
It will do some harm yes but the long term is good where companies can budget for a position and then fill it if the budget is right and force them to pay decently for the requisite skill level.

The other option is making companies publish the salary range for the position in the advert.
 
I don't think it is good. Even though the intentions are ok, I think it will do more harm than good by the government getting involved in hiring (which happens to be one of the most difficult things a company can do).
It's actually doing companies a favour. Their salary budget would become more defined and predictable.

If a position is "market related", then you should have no issue providing the market related figure associated with the role...
 
It will do some harm yes but the long term is good where companies can budget for a position and then fill it if the budget is right and force them to pay decently for the requisite skill level.

The other option is making companies publish the salary range for the position in the advert.

It's actually doing companies a favour. Their salary budget would become more defined and predictable.

If a position is "market related", then you should have no issue providing the market related figure associated with the role...
Or what happens is that companies don't hire as many people as the government had decided it knows how to hire people better than the people doing the hiring.
 
Or what happens is that companies don't hire as many people as the government had decided it knows how to hire people better than the people doing the hiring.
Unless I've missed something this is merely about making companies not ask for payslips... Not sure how government knows how to hire people better from that.
 
Or what happens is that companies don't hire as many people as the government had decided it knows how to hire people better than the people doing the hiring.
The government would be saying stop doing dodgy schit. That's not getting involved.

Do you think it's fair that you get screwed for the rest of your career, just because you were lowballed in your first job in your desperation to get some experience? Most people take what they get in their first jobs, and are more than capable in performing the role once they have a few years under them. But they'll never be recognised for that, because every time they move it's based on their last salary, and if you move too much to rectify it then you're a job hopper.

Imagine if you went shopping and the price of everything was market related. You'll find out what it costs at the till and then you can negotiate. Wouldn't want the pesky government getting involved...
 
The government would be saying stop doing dodgy schit. That's not getting involved.
They are getting involved. And the practice isn't particularly universal either.

Do you think it's fair that you get screwed for the rest of your career, just because you were lowballed in your first job in your desperation to get some experience? Most people take what they get in their first jobs, and are more than capable in performing the role once they have a few years under them. But they'll never be recognised for that, because every time they move it's based on their last salary, and if you move too much to rectify it then you're a job hopper.
Well then the onus is on the employee to show why they are being undervalued for their salary. Also, you don't necessarily have to move in order to get a good salary increase. You can just negotiate with your current employer (who absolutely knows how much they are paying you) when you get a job offer.

Imagine if you went shopping and the price of everything was market related. You'll find out what it costs at the till and then you can negotiate. Wouldn't want the pesky government getting involved...
But without the government, who would negotiate? Also everything on the shelves is market related price. Because you can choose to not buy something. A market related price is a negotiated price where two people voluntarily do a financial transaction.

Plenty of businesses operate as above, because what they sell isn't really something you can commoditise. In some industries it works, in others it doesn't. You have to find out what the clients actually want before you can give them a price. Human beings are not commodities in the same way a packet of your favourite manpons is.

I can give you the opposite example, in Norway, Sweden and Finland, your salary (via tax returns) is effectively public knowledge.
 
The government would be saying stop doing dodgy schit. That's not getting involved.

Do you think it's fair that you get screwed for the rest of your career, just because you were lowballed in your first job in your desperation to get some experience? Most people take what they get in their first jobs, and are more than capable in performing the role once they have a few years under them. But they'll never be recognised for that, because every time they move it's based on their last salary, and if you move too much to rectify it then you're a job hopper.

Imagine if you went shopping and the price of everything was market related. You'll find out what it costs at the till and then you can negotiate. Wouldn't want the pesky government getting involved...
That is why job hopping when you are younger can pay dividends
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X