SA price, launch date for PlayStation TV

Ninja'd

A Djinn
I want one to play Vita games. I'm guessing the ones with touchscreen controls will only be playable with a DS4 controller.

Maverick Jester

The Special One
I want one to play Vita games. I'm guessing the ones with touchscreen controls will only be playable with a DS4 controller.

Would be odd, considering that the Vita TV comes with a DS3 controller. What I hate, though, is that they are using those idiotic (and expensive) PS Vita cards.

Pseudonym

AFAIK they don't currently have support for the touch-screen heavy games with any controller.

Maverick Jester

The Special One
Are you refering to the memory cards?

Yep. Built in memory is a paltry 1GB, and a decent sized PS Vita card (32GB) costs the same as a class 10 64GB SD card. Though, that being said, there are cards that come with a few games on them, but the price differential is a steep.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Yep. Built in memory is a paltry 1GB, and a decent sized PS Vita card (32GB) costs the same as a class 10 64GB SD card. Though, that being said, there are cards that come with a few games on them, but the price differential is a steep.

It's a once off purchase though. Not that much of an issue.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
It's a once off purchase though. Not that much of an issue.

So its R1500 for the device, R800 for a controller... then another R1000 for a VITA card.

I'd only get this if it let me do netflix etc as well.

km2

Expert Member
If you're wanting to do the whole PS+ thing and do the monthly Instant Game Collection downloads, then yes the 1GB is worthless.

But if there's a few PS Vita games you want to play and you buy the game cards, 1GB is more than enough for saves and you can always use the Content Manager to transfer saves across to your PC and back.

(I have a 16GB card with my Vita which is fine, but looking at the price of the cards 32GB seems to make more sense)

Maverick Jester

The Special One

Oh, this doesn't support games that rely on the Vita's touchscreen for any sort of control mechanism, be it menus or actual gameplay.

Maverick Jester

The Special One
They get locked to your PSN account so you can download as you play them.

I have 200 games on Steam, but only ever have 2-3 installed at any one time.

Not all users play games in that manner, especially those that are looking for a cheap console, which this is marketed as. The value proposition goes out the window if you factor in propriety media or a reliance on online connectivity to make library management easier. You can't exactly pop in and play with this console.

You're better off with a second hand PS3 than this. Which is sad- I really like it.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Not all users play games in that manner, especially those that are looking for a cheap console, which this is marketed as. The value proposition goes out the window if you factor in propriety media or a reliance on online connectivity to make library management easier. You can't exactly pop in and play with this console.

You're better off with a second hand PS3 than this. Which is sad- I really like it.

This was intended as a streaming device though.

If you don't have uncapped this isn't for you.

Maverick Jester

The Special One
This was intended as a streaming device though.

If you don't have uncapped this isn't for you.

Not entirely. For areas that have mature console markets- yes, it is marketed as an extension of the PS4 experience.

But the primary market that this was aimed at was China, as a low cost console, and Ster Kinekor are selling it under the same pretenses. We don't even have the Video or Music Unlimited services available here. Having uncapped doesn't do much to improve the value unless you also have a PS4 to accompany it with.

For our market, a used PS3 is better.

kianm

Honorary Master
So its R1500 for the device, R800 for a controller... then another R1000 for a VITA card.

Well.. that's already out the roof for such a device. Sounds cools but then it has to do quite a bit more to be worth it

km2

Expert Member

Surely at least a bit less than that if the quote from the article "He added that Ster-Kinekor is doing a bundle that includes a DualShock 4 and PlayStation TV for under R2,000" can be believed. If one's buying it to play Persona 4 Golden that would be R1999 (I'm guessing they don't mean much under) for the device and controller, and then R595 for the game card from AWX and have your saves on the PSTV. Or you could buy the 8GB Vita Flash card for R277 and then save R100 on P4G by buying it on PSN.