SACS Cable?

Brentontw

Has anyone heard anything in the form of an update about this? Can't seem to find a source with a steady stream of information, I know it's a niche area of interest but as someone waiting very patiently for lower latency to international server I'm extremely interested in when this will be going live?

I initially read that it was due to be live by Q3 but no updates since then.

Praemon

Expert Member
Has anyone heard anything in the form of an update about this? Can't seem to find a source with a steady stream of information, I know it's a niche area of interest but as someone waiting very patiently for lower latency to international server I'm extremely interested in when this will be going live?

I initially read that it was due to be live by Q3 but no updates since then.
Last I heard they expect it to go live end of August or early September. I guess it also depends which ISPs will route through it as well.

It should shave off quite a bit of latency to Brazil, and perhaps a very slight boost to the US.

Edit: Here is an interview on TechCentral where they say testing should be completed early August. But they say it should go live "not later than September" - https://techcentral.co.za/interview-angola-cables-ceo-antonio-nunes/82099/

Last edited:

Praemon

Expert Member
I'm most interested in seeing the latency to the AWS DC in São Paulo once this goes live, assuming we see local service providers buy into the route. From what I can tell, latency to Angola from SA is around 60ms. Angola to the landing station in Brazil is said to be around 65ms (assuming perfect conditions). So potentially the AWS DC could be reached at around 130ms (so better than the UK by around 10-20ms).

I'm not sure what the latency is on the Monet cable between Brazil and Florida, US (anyone know?), but assuming around 70ms, we could also then see 200ms to the US, which is generally better than current latency (around 250ms).

Loppas

I'm most interested in seeing the latency to the AWS DC in São Paulo once this goes live, assuming we see local service providers buy into the route. From what I can tell, latency to Angola from SA is around 60ms. Angola to the landing station in Brazil is said to be around 65ms (assuming perfect conditions). So potentially the AWS DC could be reached at around 130ms (so better than the UK by around 10-20ms).

I'm not sure what the latency is on the Monet cable between Brazil and Florida, US (anyone know?), but assuming around 70ms, we could also then see 200ms to the US, which is generally better than current latency (around 250ms).
I'm also curious to see the same thing lol, would love to have better latency on fortnite. You're wrong about the latency to angola though, from joburg its about 55ms and from cape town it should be 35-40ms however there isn't peering for angola cables in cape town atm so the routing for us goes cpt->jhb->cpt->angola = 75ms.

Iv done some tests online checking the ping from Fortaleza to Sao Paulo, its about 42ms. This means that the best possible latency to sao paulo from cape town would be 35+63+42=140ms~ and with the current routing through joburg it would be 75+63+42=180ms~. A route via the monet cable from fortaleza to sao paulo might be less though.

Praemon

Expert Member
I'm also curious to see the same thing lol, would love to have better latency on fortnite. You're wrong about the latency to angola though, from joburg its about 55ms and from cape town it should be 35-40ms however there isn't peering for angola cables in cape town atm so the routing for us goes cpt->jhb->cpt->angola = 75ms.

Iv done some tests online checking the ping from Fortaleza to Sao Paulo, its about 42ms. This means that the best possible latency to sao paulo from cape town would be 35+63+42=140ms~ and with the current routing through joburg it would be 75+63+42=180ms~. A route via the monet cable from fortaleza to sao paulo might be less though.
Ah, okay. The 60ms ping was done via a JHB server. Angola Cables were supposed to have peered in Cape Town by end of 2017. I guess 140ms+ isn't a real improvement over London, so it won't work out as a better option. Hopefully we'll see a 30-40ms improvement to the US though, and I guess it's way better over the current 350ms+ to Brazil if you need connectivity there.

Loppas

Ah, okay. The 60ms ping was done via a JHB server. Angola Cables were supposed to have peered in Cape Town by end of 2017. I guess 140ms+ isn't a real improvement over London, so it won't work out as a better option. Hopefully we'll see a 30-40ms improvement to the US though, and I guess it's way better over the current 350ms+ to Brazil if you need connectivity there.
So i asked angola cables on fb and they say its going into operation in september and i was wrong about the peering in jhb only, they also have peering in cpt (I assumed that because it was being routed through joburg on cool ideas and other isps i tested).

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
SACS cable has apparently gone LIVE (at least traffic is flowing between some peering partners) - https://dyn.com/blog/first-subsea-cable-across-south-atlantic-activated/

Anyone know of any South African ISPs who are going to be using this new route? Will be interesting to do some latency tests to Brazil and US.
Well, should be around 85ms from that point to New York or so but probably higher, 100ms to Miami, then the Atlantic crossing would be 63ms, then ct to Angola I am unsure, probs around 30-40ms? So would be around 210ms to New York, which we already have (216ms to 107.191.96.26 ). The problem with the US is if it's west coast, that adds about 75ms, where a lot of US gaming servers are hosted (if that's what you're caring about) where the brazil entry point might shave off 20ms as it's closer physically, but unsure of how the cables run. Central/Western Europe should still be better (around the 150-170ms mark).

Elis

Been watching this for ages. Waiting on reply from Mweb to see if they'll offer routing. Don't think this is gonna be the 'big' one for latency. SAex might be interesting with SA to SA direct.