Salary increase at new job ?

Dolby

Honorary Master
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
39,251
Reaction score
6,217
I think this was posted a while back - but can't find it now.

When seeking a job and the inevitable question 'what do you expect?' comes up - what do you ask for? I went to an agent the other day that recommended 10% above your current ... which I thought was wrong?
 
It all depends on the market. Supply and demand.

Your previous salary shouldn't be an issue. If you wanted a 10% increase you could've waited a few months for your current company's annual increase.
 
Depends. My previous move earned me a 50% bump. The one before that, 200%. The latest one, a bit over 30%. I'm not getting another significant increase anytime soon though as I've hit a bit of a plateau now. Wouldn't move for less than 15-20% when I do take the plunge in a years though.
 
If I had to leave, I would probably go for 10 - 15%. But, it also depends on what your current salary is / market related etc. I jumped with about 20% from my previous position, but don't think I can expect that at another position.
 
It all depends on the market. Supply and demand.

Your previous salary shouldn't be an issue. If you wanted a 10% increase you could've waited a few months for your current company's annual increase.

I haven't seen a double digit increase in more than 10 years.
 
When she told me 10% increase I kind of sighed ... I'll go through to see what it is about, but I doubt I'll leave at 10%
 
Don't under sell yourself, if you ask less, then they will think you don't have enough faith in yourself. Also, when you go and if they ask what are you expecting, tell them 20% and then motivate why you think you deserve that salary.
 
NEVER leave for 10%

You're already an "expert" at what you're doing now, right?
In moving, you'll have a tough learning curve again.. They'll need to reward you for that now, since from here on, it'll be 5-10% increases every year again..
 
I no longer talk about my previous salary, or percentage increase.

I give the agent a minimum expected NETT salary, and tell them straight up that if the position can't at least meet that, then I'm not even interested in talking to them. (and the mimimum NETT is usually 25 - 40% higher than I'm currently earning)
 
The sad thing is the more you ask for the higher you move in the tax bracket. 20 percent might just end up at a nett of 5 percent
 
Ask if the new boss needs any "favours" :twisted:
a once-off could earn you 30%
a more permanent agreement in this regard could get you 100% - 150% ?
 
Taxed on a cumulative basis. So when you get bumped to the next tax bracket you only pay higher tax on the extra amount, not on all of your salary!

Correct, but you can get taxed a hell of a lot more than you would've, on that addition. I also thought that that was incorrect, but I just checked sars' personal tax tables. At almost R800k pa, for each grand you get bumped, you get something like R100 more out.
 
Correct, but you can get taxed a hell of a lot more than you would've, on that addition. I also thought that that was incorrect, but I just checked sars' personal tax tables. At almost R800k pa, for each grand you get bumped, you get something like R100 more out.

The highest marginal tax rate is 40% not 90%????
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X