Samsung Galaxy S9

Galaxy S9 reportedly codenamed ‘Star’ as development begins early
According to Korean publication The Bell, Samsung has chosen ‘Star’ as the codename for the Galaxy S9 (and ‘Star 2′ for the larger model). Development of the device has reportedly begun 3 to 4 months ahead of schedule, but as expected, there is no information available on what the S9 will offer (other than a more refined Infinity Display) or the reason behind why Star has been chosen as its codename.

As usual, we can only do a bit of guesswork, and it could be that the S9 will be a shining example of Samsung’s technical prowess and be similar to the kind of upgrade the Galaxy S7 edge was over the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge. The Galaxy S8 was codenamed Project Dream, and as we had exclusively reported, the Galaxy Note 8 is internally dubbed ‘Great’, which is one of the most straightforward codenames to be associated with a Samsung flagship. Early rumors did point the Galaxy Note 8 as having a much different codename, so it’s entirely possible the Galaxy S9 might be called something else as well.

With nearly a year left before the Galaxy S9′s eventual release, the report should be taken with a pinch of salt. Samsung no doubt has most of its focus on the Galaxy Note 8 as it works towards rebuilding consumer trust in the Note lineup, and it’s best not to put much stock in any rumors about next year’s Galaxy S flagship at this point in time.
https://www.sammobile.com/2017/05/24/galaxy-s9-reportedly-codenamed-star-as-development-begins-early/

Galaxy S9 launch to reportedly take place as early as January

We have heard rumors of Samsung bringing its Galaxy S flagships to market ahead of its regular schedule quite a few times before, but those rumors have never panned out. Now, Korean publication The Bell, which had earlier reported that development on the Galaxy S9 had begun ahead of schedule under the codename Project Star, is saying that Samsung’s next flagship could be launched in January. The Bell believes the early Galaxy S9 launch can be chalked up to the fact that a device is usually assembled and launched two to three months after its display panels are shipped to Samsung, which, for the S9, is set to happen in November.

Quicker shipment of a phone’s parts doesn’t necessarily mean Samsung will unveil the Galaxy S9 in January. The company could be planning on putting a couple of months of extra work on its next flagship, perhaps to make the rumored move to SLP technology, which should theoretically allow the company to fit in a larger battery inside the phone. But The Bell thinks Samsung is accelerating the launch to combat sales of the iPhone 8, and that does make sense. The iPhone 8 is expected to sport a bezel-less display like the Galaxy S8 (without the curves), and the resultant increase in consumer demand for the upcoming iPhone could eat into Samsung’s sales of the Galaxy Note 8. The company also did start launching Galaxy Note flagships a month earlier with the Galaxy Note 5, and we might just see the same happen to the Galaxy S lineup with the S9.

The rumor mill has only just begun churning out information about the Galaxy S9, and it’s too early to take anything seriously. Not a lot is known about the handset at this point; a rumor suggested the S9 could have a modular design, and obvious reports that the phone will feature an Infinity Display and Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 845 SoC are also floating around.
Source: https://www.sammobile.com/2017/09/01/galaxy-s9-launch-reportedly-take-place-early-january/

Galaxy S9 to sport a ‘full-screen’ design, reveals patent

It’s been revealed that Samsung filed for a design patent with KIPRIS in May 2016 for a smartphone, which is believed to be the much-anticipated Galaxy S9, with an edge-to-edge display that’s equipped with a sensor cut-out, long before rumors emerged that Apple’s so-called iPhone 8 will feature a similar design.

Matching up to the latest iPhone renders, Samsung’s sketches highlight a handset with a full-screen front—and there isn’t a single bezel in sight. An edge-to-edge (presumably) Infinity Display takes up the entire surface, which is interrupted by a small notch at the top for the speaker module, front-facing camera, and ambient light sensor.
Galaxy-S9-2-162x270.pngGalaxy-S9-1-162x270.png

The Galaxy S9 will sport the same 5.8-inch Infinity Display as the Galaxy S8, while the Galaxy S9+ will pack an identical 6.2-inch Infinity Display to the Galaxy S8+, according to a recent report. The flagships should also sport an in-screen fingerprint reader, something Samsung was unable to perfect for the Galaxy S8.

It’s too early to say whether the Galaxy S9 will definitely ship with an edge-to-edge screen à la upcoming iPhone 8 as Samsung regularly files patents that never come to fruition, but it’s certainly feasible. After all, the firm won’t want to be left out, with handsets like the Essential Phone already toting the technology.
Source: https://www.sammobile.com/2017/09/05/galaxy-s9-sport-full-screen-design-according-design-patent/

Galaxy S9 could sport an in-house camera sensor that’s capable of shooting at 1,000 fps

Samsung is working on a camera sensor that’s capable of shooting at one-thousand frames per second (fps) to rival the one on board the Sony Xperia XZ1 and Xperia XZ1 Premium, according to a new report published by ETNews.

The sensor is expected to enter mass production in November, leaving plenty of time for it to be included in the upcoming Galaxy S9, which could be launched as soon as January, if recent leaks and rumors are anything to go by.

Aside from a shiny new sensor, which we believe will be squeezed into a dual-camera configuration à la Galaxy Note 8, the Galaxy S9 is rumored to sport a 5.8-inch Infinity Display, a Snapdragon 845 CPU and an in-display fingerprint sensor.

As we’ve said in the past, it’s too early to say whether the handset will ship with a bezel-less edge-to-edge screen like the Essential Phone, but seeing as Apple is headed in that direction with the iPhone X, it certainly seems likely.
Source: https://www.sammobile.com/2017/09/18/galaxy-s9-camera

Galaxy S9 and S9+ launch, pre-order, and shipping dates leaked

This year, Samsung will be returning to the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona to unveil its latest Galaxy S flagship, after a slight departure from the usual schedule for the Galaxy S8 announcement last year. The company has said as much, and a new leak is now shedding some light on the exact dates Samsung has chosen to unveil the Galaxy S9, kick off pre-orders, and put it up for sale.
Galaxy S9 and S9+ could go on sale by March 16

Popular leakster evleaks says a “C-level executive at a major casemaker” has revealed that the Galaxy S9 and S9+ will be launched on February 26th. Pre-orders will go live on March 1, and the phones will be up for sale starting March 16th. If you’re thinking the launch date is a little off, you’re not wrong. Samsung usually unveils its Galaxy S flagship a day before MWC officially kicks off, but if evleaks’ information is correct, the Korean giant could be planning on taking the limelight away from other phones that will be on display at the event.

The pre-orders and shipping schedule sounds much more plausible and in line with how Samsung has been doing things in recent years. Our own sources have heard that the March 16th release is correct, although these dates would be for the US and/or South Korea, and the S9 and S9+ are likely to take a few more days to hit other markets. There’s not a lot of time left for MWC 2018, however, so it’s possible things will change or are already a bit different than what has been revealed by the leak.
https://www.sammobile.com/news/galaxy-s9-and-s9-launch-pre-order-and-shipping-dates-leaked/

Galaxy S9 battery capacity possibly revealed

If the information contained in this filing is accurate, then the Galaxy S9 battery capacity is going to be 3,000mAh which is exactly the same as the Galaxy S8. It was rumored at one point that the Galaxy S9 could have a 3,200mAh battery but we haven’t heard about this possibility since then.

Samsung might also stick to the script for the Galaxy S9+ as well and it might have the same 3,500mAh battery as the Galaxy S8+. These handsets are already going to be quite similar to their predecessors anyway.

The expectation with new flagship handsets is always that they’ll be thinner, lighter, more powerful and have bigger batteries. That’s easier said than done, though. Samsung fans can still keep their fingers crossed for an improvement in battery life due to more power efficient internals and hopefully better software optimization.

Samsung is going to unveil the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ at the Mobile World Congress 2018 in Barcelona next month.
samsung-galaxy-s9-battery-capacity.jpg

https://www.sammobile.com/2018/01/15/galaxy-s9-battery-capacity-possibly-revealed/

michellej

Expert Member
I'm downgrading myself to 1 upgrade a year now... so I'll do S9+ and take it from there... nothing specific that attracts me tbh.
Ah okay. I have also had to go from 3 contracts to 1 now which i am taking sim only for 199 a mnth 200min, 200sms and 500mg. Will buy devices cash after the prices drop and that is actially quiet quick

Ah okay. I have also had to go from 3 contracts to 1 now which i am taking sim only for 199 a mnth 200min, 200sms and 500mg. Will buy devices cash after the prices drop and that is actially quiet quick
I have 7 contracts. Actually 6 now since 1 Feb (hopefully, will see what my vodacom invoice looks like). Of the 6 I've moved one of the sims to FNB Connect on a month to month flexi.

michellej

Expert Member
I have 7 contracts. Actually 6 now since 1 Feb (hopefully, will see what my vodacom invoice looks like). Of the 6 I've moved one of the sims to FNB Connect on a month to month flexi.
Wow can't imagine your bill.... Hectic... Lol